Bleach in the Blood Bank

Mabel Adams

Should we totally ban bleach in the Blood Bank to avoid destruction of the S antigen?  We have some scut buckets to which we add bleach as a disinfectant and I can't decide how much I should worry that a splash will end up somewhere that it could affect the S antigen in a test.  It seems fairly remote but if it happened on a patient with an undetected anti-S it would be bad. If I could find a suitable alternative to add to the scut buckets, then I could switch to that and not have to wonder.  

If you don't use bleach in your scut buckets what do you add in hopes of killing viruses etc.?

• 2 weeks later...

We have small buckets on the benches (never heard the term scut bucket before, but I like it). They are lined with a red bag and covered. They usually fill up in just a day or three. We just lift out the bag, tie it shut, and place it in a larger biohazard container. No disenfectant in it at all. No problems.