MS in Clinical Lab Management with SBB Option at Rush University

BBNBHM

Is anyone currently in or ever been in the Rush University dual Masters program for Clinical Lab Management with an SBB?

I have been researching online programs for about a year now and this one seems like the best, but it is very expensive...almost $600 per credit hour with a total of 65 credit hours required to graduate.  

I have emailed the contact person regarding basic info such as clinical requirements, graduation rates, etc, but would like unbiased opinions, thoughts, experiences.  This is a lot of money to invest in something that may not be as good as it seems.    

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Edited by BBNBHM

I am also looking into getting my Masters and taking my SBB, but the cost of the programs that I've looked at are prohibitive, even though my employer will reimburse a certain amount per year.

I also work two jobs, so I really just want to take 1 class at a time, and most don't let you do that.

If anyone knows of any other programs, I would be interested to hear your experience.

• 1 year later...

I am doing the MS with the SBB.  I figured if I was going to work that hard the first year for the SBB portion, I wanted those classes to count for credit toward a Master's degree.  Most other online SBB programs just give a certificate...not that there is anything wrong with that at all, but my employer was encouraging me (strongly) to get my Master's degree so this was the best option for me.

I did investigate GW for the Master's in Immunohematology but they had just closed that program for anyone not in the military.

Hi all,

Terri, I am very familiar with GW as I am the last man (non-military) standing in the program, trying to finish my MSHS (Immunohematology).  It was very intense but I enjoyed the instructors and the education.  I challenged the boards, got my SBB, then I entered the program to pursue the M.S.  I have relocated a few times, so it has really been a challenge.

I need to come up with a research project to complete this degree.  It has been a problem trying to get a local mentor (researcher, pathologist, etc.) to support me.  This is the only part I was not happy with.  My finishing has to do with whether or not someone will help me?  I am in a new job now with no support.  There was initial support for one project that did not get approval, for whatever reason.

I would appreciate any help on choosing a new topic for research.  Since I did not get approval to conduct a wet project, I can pretty much choose any problem (GAP) to research.  I love all of Blood Banking.  It is very hard to narrow down.  You helped me pass the SBB, now I need you all to help complete this program.  No spell checks please.  Thanks for your time.  HELP!!!!!

Hi Connie.  Congrats on your accomplishments so far! It's tough that you just started a new job and don't have the support needed yet.  Are there any new programs at your hospital (trauma, bloodless, patient blood management, etc) that you could look at for project ideas?

Thank you Terri,

I have given up on my new facility.  I am trying to narrow down to one problem (GAP) in the hospital transfusion service.  The culture has changed so much in my 25 years in the business.  In the past 7 years where I've worked, there were ongoing staffing problems in this critical department, as opposed to the general lab, so I am researching what others are doing to have a successful program of training and retaining competent technologists, and what I can do differently to achieve the same results.

As you can probably detect, I am struggling.  However, my focus keeps taking me back to this problem.  Currently, this is a real problem for me in my new role, so a lit review will benefit me.  Any input is appreciated.  No spell checks please.  The white wine and grapes are almost none. :haha:

Regards,

Connie

Edited by COTTONBALL

• 2 months later...

I am in the program at Rush right now with Terri, and I love it.  It is a very challenging program.  There is some homework assignments that are well thought out, quizzes almost weekly, discussion boards almost weekly, and a mid-term exam (5 weeks) and a final at 10 weeks.  The cost is very expensive, but I think it is worth it since it doubles up as a masters program. 

• 1 year later...