Strategic Health Group...blood utilization

OxyApos

Has anyone out there used this group?  They market themselves ( and quite costly I might add ) as an intermediary for reviewing blood utilization, physician follow up, and eventually cost savings on products not being transfused unnecessarily.  The don't reveal client lists so we have nothing except their word for success.  Our Blood Bank pathologist changed our trigger points to 7/21 ( with exceptions of course) last January & our red cell usage has decreased by 30%.  This took a lot of time on his part to gather literature for an evidence based approach, several meetings and education.  But not near the cost these guys are wanting for a 3 year contract.

It looks like you have already done the bulk of the change-making so you don't need them.  

I think they worked with one of the hospitals in Boise Idaho--St. Lukes I think (unless I am thinking of Impact Online).  I have emailed Tim Hannon a few times and he has been helpful.  He appears on this site sometimes.  I have heard some of their group present at AABB meetings.  If you can do it yourself, go for it.

Mabel,

You are right.  It was St Lukes in Boise, an 860 bed hospital.  I have that case study as well as one from a 265 bed hospital in Boulder, Colorado.  I signed up for their weekly bulletins, which have interesting information. 

OP, it sounds like you have it covered with a 30% decrease without using their services!

We did it ourselves.  One of the critical care physicians championed it.  It was very successful since it was not seen as Blood Bank trying to dictate practice.  We implemented the new transfusion triggers between April and June of 2012.  Our red cell transfusions are down 20%. 

Edited by bmarotto