Calling all Cerner users

Lbiggs

So I am a new bloodbank superuser in the build phase of Cerner implementation here at our hospital.  I feel frustrated with the result testing and major scrolling side to side to see patient results.  I have asked about testing that is more in line with the page scripts of Sunquest or HCLL so that all patient results are viewable on one page.  Does anyone have good tips and tricks that could help me iwith this and can everyone that uses Cerner please tell me what you think of the bloodbank program portion?  My lab manager just told me that we are stuck with it no matter what issues I find with it.

Thanks.

LBiggs

Overall we are very happy with Cerner millenium in our Blood Bank - in fact, some techs here also work elsewhere with Meditech and much prefer Cerner.  I was not involved in the build of our system, but as Lead tech and bench tech I am familiar with much of it.  The spreadsheet layout of Results entry can seem awkward, but it also has alot of flexibility.  One workaround is to make several worksheet Tabs in Blood Bank Results entry - say one for Type and Screens, one for Crossmatches, one for Antibody IDS, and one for "everything else".  That way you are not stretching the results screen off the page most of the time, and can easily switch back and forth between tabs.  In practice, when you are entering results as you observe them, it flows pretty naturally as long as the worksheets keep things in order of how they are normally performed.

I'd be happy to try answering any other questions as you progress!

I have worked with the Cerner Blood Bank module for many years and there is a ton of flexibility and functionality. As Byfaith noted, worksheet tabs in Result Entry are extremely useful. Since you're in the build phase, something else that might help is to be aware of the length/name of each DTA. The longer the name of the DTA, the wider the column in Result Entry, and the less you'll be able to see horizontally without scrolling. 

For example, with the ABORH, if you name your DTA's Anti-A, Anti-B, Anti-D, A cells, etc., it will take up a lot more real estate than naming them A, B, D, a, etc.

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Since you're in the build phase, something else that might help is to be aware of the length/name of each DTA. The longer the name of the DTA, the wider the column in Result Entry, and the less you'll be able to see horizontally without scrolling. 

I also have much experience with Cerner Classic and then Millennium (since 2004). 

It is not the DTA names that determine column width, the result selections in the dropdown list determine column width.  We have one DTA that does not show the whole name without extending the column width because all the result options are really short.

Overall we are very happy with Cerner millenium in our Blood Bank - in fact, some techs here also work elsewhere with Meditech and much prefer Cerner.  I was not involved in the build of our system, but as Lead tech and bench tech I am familiar with much of it.  The spreadsheet layout of Results entry can seem awkward, but it also has alot of flexibility.  One workaround is to make several worksheet Tabs in Blood Bank Results entry - say one for Type and Screens, one for Crossmatches, one for Antibody IDS, and one for "everything else".  That way you are not stretching the results screen off the page most of the time, and can easily switch back and forth between tabs.  In practice, when you are entering results as you observe them, it flows pretty naturally as long as the worksheets keep things in order of how they are normally performed.

I'd be happy to try answering any other questions as you progress!

Do you mind sharing the valiation script.  I am also validating cermer milenium and I am having troble capturing all the steps that needs to be validated.  help. 

We used to have Mysis/Sunquest...Cerner is SOOOO much better.
Our build was a disaster. We hade a good BB'er on the project but as it went live on all hosp sites, continual amendments were made.

Here's a few suggestions....if you haven't covered them already ;)
Under  ABORh typing:
the "HX" drop down box. It means if there is a hx for the patient... not if a hx check was done. Name the choices "Hx yes" and "Hx no".

• Make the choice "Hx no" reflex to an ABORh  recheck orderable.

If an ABORh is ordered, the result will show up in the patients demographics box on the top.
If an ABO and a separate Rh is ordered, it will NOT  show up in the patients demographic box...something to consider "fixing"

If ER orders an Rh only...make it an ABORh so you can collect a full type for your hx file..?
If patients are transferred to a sister hospital, the ABORh will NOT be visible to any of your sister hospitals (if you share patients and their records) but the Ab / Ag and BB comments info will.?????? We are part of a lg chain w/4 hospitals in the same general are. It's not uncommon for pts to transfer to a sister hosp.

• Our issue is in the "patient reconciliation" process
  • (Some Rn on the build decided ABORh is so impt new facilities should repeat it every time ...like some tech is really going to issue based on historical type...)
  • Make sure the types are viewable in the demographics box...can be used as a hx reference.
  • If you can't do this, manually copy the abo recheck in the Blood Bank tab...info in the Blood Bank, Comments and Notes tabs follows the patient

Cord Bloods
We just got a Mother -Baby...pt relationship  link which is a small icon in the upper R corner of the pt demographic box. I think it's part of the new OB administration program..
Makes it a little easier to see who's baby is linked to whom.

If the Fetal Screen is pos, have it reflex to a KB.

Weak D testing Reflex
If a baby is D neg ( and the mom is D neg)  -" Perform" the Baby's results (NOT " Verify"), exit the program, reopen BB results, rescan in the Acc # and the Weak D test will be added to the acc #.
If you  could make that a reflex, WOW, but I don't think the system can search and interpret the babys and the mom's data.

Pos ABSC.
If an ABSC is resulted and Verified as Pos, it will reflex to an AB ID. Make the AB ID column less wide. All results are small in width.

The process for adding multiple Ab's (and Ag's) is cumbersome. When you verify 1 the computer will ask you if you're done. You can say NO and rescan in the acc # and reenter another Ab, or you can use the "Insert Line" icon on the top.
This is a little cumbersome. You click on an empty row below your last entry,then click the "Insert Line" icon on the top Left and then choose to add a Line or a Cell (I don't understand the diff between the 2). It adds another line under the orderable and you place your 2nd result there. You can insert as many lines as you want....This is handy when entering a full phenotype results from the ref lab.

Ag typing results
The orderable for this is Ag typing or Ag Hx (no charge dropped..if the ref lab does the typing and you are entering the results) Ref lab billing is separate.
There are many reaction columns to record results done at ie IN, RT, AHG, CC.  Suggest the result column at the far R is much smaller. Makes it easier to double check your entry.

the brain is overwhelmed...more to come