Refrigerator Question

Everett9239

We recently purchased a new double door refrigerator and I am writing the procedure for maintenance.  For our older model double door, we must check the low and high alarm activation quarterly by manually activating the alarm (submerging the probe into ice water, and then into slowly warming water).  My new double door has the capability of activating the alarms electronically with out the manual probe manipulation.  Is this acceptable?  Can I consider the electronic manipulation 'good enough' instead of having to do the manual manipulation?

Sounds like have simular fridges.  We do the electronic alarm check every day, alternating hi and lo alarms.  But we still do the warm/ice water probe check annually.  Not sure if it is due to manufacturer's recommendations or the FDA/JCAHO.

Scott

It was confirmed to me by a few inspectors that it is valid to use the electronic probe activation as long as it is fully validated.

So when I purchased the refrigerators, I validated that it was accurate by comparing results of the manual vs. electronic probe activation.

Daily, we check the HI and LOW alarm activation, make sure it alarms at 1.5 and 5.5.

Quarterly, I check the probe temp against a certified thermometer.

I am also able to show inspectors from my wireless temperature monitoring system that it activates the alarm condition at those temperatures.

So far I have had no concerns from any inspector.

We also check the alarms daily electronically, but according to JC inspectors its not enough.

We were recently (July 2013) inspected by Joint Commission and the inspector specifically asked questions about refrigerator alarm activation. According to JC & AABB standards this is to be checked manually on a quarterly basis.

We also check the alarms daily electronically, but according to JC inspectors its not enough.

We were recently (July 2013) inspected by Joint Commission and the inspector specifically asked questions about refrigerator alarm activation. According to JC & AABB standards this is to be checked manually on a quarterly basis.

Can you list the regulations where it says that have to be "manually" activated quarterly?

My interpretation of the CAP reg: to check the temperature alarm check quarterly, means putting the probes bottles in ice and warm water.  The electronic check does nothing but check that the elcetronics are working.  It does not confirm that if the temperature drops or rises above 6C that the alarm will go off.

Those who passed inspection by only using the electronic check probably had inspectors who did the same at their hospital.

Edited by profbaud

I am not a CAP hospital, so I don't have inspectors from other hospitals. Joint Commission, AABB, and NYS Dept of Health inspectors have all been OK with it. I believe with the Helmer units it is not just an electronic check; the probes are actually cooled and heated to simulate the manual method.

So I think this issue will involve which agencies you are regulated by, your validation of the system, and if you also have another method (wireless temp monitoring) that also will show alarms at the proper temperatures.

My interpretation of the CAP reg: to check the temperature alarm check quarterly, means putting the probes bottles in ice and warm water.  The electronic check does nothing but check that the elcetronics are working.  It does not confirm that if the temperature drops or rises above 6C that the alarm will go off.

Those who passed inspection by only using the electronic check probably had inspectors who did the same at their hospital.

The new Helmer freezers/refrigerators with this feature use a Peltier-based probe test that physically heats/cools the probe, so it is actually a change in probe temperature, not just an electronic simulation. I am not sure about other brands.

That being said, we do both at our facility quarterly. The manual test is not that time consuming.

• 1 month later...

My question involves the BB reagent refrigerator.  It is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong, that the BB reagent refrig must have an alram system.  I have a small reagent refrig and the external temp monitoring/alarm device is quite worthless.  What are some suggestions.  This one has a small bottle to sit inside the fridge and a wire comes outside and plugs into a temp/alarm device that is attached on the outside of the door.  It is a portable alarm system from Cardinal Health.  Any reccomendations? 

Hello ANORRIS, I saw your post and I have a solution.  I run the healthcare division for SMART TEMPS LLC, a temperature management system for vaccines, medications, blood banks, labs, etc.  The wireless system logs temperatures 24 hours a day, removing the need for paper logs.  The alert system send texts, emails, phone calls to however many people you list to be contacted.  This system guarantees compliance, while you will never have to worry about losing your temperature sensitive inventory.  If you get a chance, email me at josh@smart-temps.com and I can send you a 1 page overview of the system, which will give you a better understanding of how simple the system really is.  I hope this helps!