Are there required vitals

amblanki

This might be a silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway.  I have looked at different things (AABB, FDA) and haven't found anything specific.  Obviously vitals need to be recorded, but nothing specifically says which ones.  Can you just do Temp, BP, and pulse?  Do you have to have respiration?  Anybody have a reference? 

• 2 weeks later...

This topic just came up today.
The Nursing Council has decided they want the respiration rate documented for each transfusion.

I have looked for some reference that states specifically what is to be documented.

Everything just says "vitals".

My thinking is respiration is a part of vitals, so they should be documented. We have not in the past. We have only done BP, temp and pulse.

My concern with this is they (RN's) have trouble completed these forms now, adding this one more piece will equal many more Midas reports for me.

I would like some references or articles or something, just for my own knowledge as well as for sharing with the powers that be.

Thanks for being there.