QC of each vial of a lot

JEANESBB

I forgot to mention the "usual"...Daily Qc(tube/PeG) is performed by day and evening shift.(rotating racks). Volume of reagent is evaluated (keep/discard) prior to shift testing. Echo is available with QC(although QC is good for 24 hours). I find it wasterful to QC every vial!!! Anyone from PA that knows why we do this? (I can't find the code, but apparently Pa requires "each bottle" of each lot"

Seems like a waste of reagent and time. I have the day shift QC the Echo, and the evenings/night tech QC the tube reagents. Plus we do rotate the racks, and the same reagents are used for both the Echo and the tubes (manual).

I QC a reagent Shipment/Lot on-receipt and then QC on Day of Use.  I do not QC a vial retreived from storage (of a Shipment/Lot that had been QC'ed on-receipt) after Day of Use QC had been done.  Day of Use QC and On-Receipt QC may be performed simultaneously. This protocol is based on the assumption that QC is performed/documented in a timely manner and reagents are stored properly.

Is Pa referring to the State of Pennsylvania?

We QC the lot each day. We do not repeat the QC later if a bottle is opened of the same lot. If a new lot, we do the QC again.

Same here, but we also QC the lot upon receipt before it being taken into stock for everyday use.

Years ago we were inspected by Joint Commission and were cited for not qc'ing each vial.  We did what most do...qc'ing each lot#.  After that inspection we switched to CAP, stopped qc'ing each vial (implemented after JACHO inspection) and have never had a problem with this during a CAP inspection. 

We simply QC the lot for day of use. Performing QC with each vial for day of use sounds kind of excessive and expensive to me.

How would you handle that if you use an analyzer at your facility? Do you have to run QC on the analyzer every 8 hours (we swap out our reagents with each shift)?