Moving to CO...Need help!

FFlovesBB

Hello everyone!

I'm moving to Colorado this summer and need help figuring out the job market for Blood Bankers out there. I currently work in CA, where a lot of the big hospitals have dedicated BBers. I recently became an SBB and have all my MT experience in BB, and I would like to continue that in CO. During my job hunt, I've come to find out that a lot of the hospitals in CO use rotating generalists in BB. Does anyone know any hospitals in Colorado that hire dedicated blood bankers?? Or hospitals that do more than just a type and screen?? I'm considering anywhere in Denver and Northern CO areas. Any info will be greatly appreciated  :)

-Thanks

Not sure about other countries, but it does seem that you will need to be be looking for a position in a larger metro area. Hospitals need generalists these days. Look for either a big hospital or a system that uses centralized testing. Otherwise, like already suggested, you may want to find out where Colorado's blood supply companies have thier reference labs. Good Luck!

Scott

I believe the hosp in grand junction uses SBBs - they had one as BB mgr and an ass't to oversee their donor operations (+ another in the donor center).  that was about 2 yrs ago.  It is on the Western slopes and is a major blood provider to that area, including, I think, parts of Utah. 

I'd look at what Bonfils has posted. Not sure if they run any transfusion services anywhere but they are a large enough blood collector they likely use SBBs somewhere/somehow (I'd bet they have a reference lab at least).

Belle Bonfils is a good choice in Denver for an SBB. I believe they have a reference laboratory. I would think there would be quite a few hospitals to work in depending on how far you want to travel. denver is pretty spread out.

I know the hospital I worked at in Colorado Springs had a lot of SBBs and most of the day shift were dedicted blood bankers. Evenings and nights had generalists.  But much has changed there since I left in 2006.

Other than Bonfils (who I know are not hiring right now) University of Co Hospital and Children's Hospital uses only dedicated BBer's.  There are also two hospitals that have openings for BB supervisors Lutheran Med center and Aurora Med center.