BB automaton

David

Meanwhile - the ECHO is a good, small volume instrument that is being well supported by Immucor.  We have had one for  4 1/2 years now and it is still going strong.  Not perfect - no platform or testing system is - but strong, reliable and enables us to keep up with testing even during staff shortages.  Easy to use and easy to work on - just make sure you can get a high-speed internet connection for Immucor so they can do the remote diagnostics.

We have been using the Echo for about 4 1/2 years - minimal problems and very good support from Immucor. I recently did a site visit and looked at a Tango that had been in service for 3-4 years (I think) - they were quite happy with it. I think that the Echo might be a better option for a smaller site in terms of reagent use for basic type and screen function, but that's based on my impressions from the site visit and not by getting into figures to compare reagent use. CAP survey results are looking good for both instruments. I chose not to go with the ProVue originally because I was vaguely unhappy with gel testing for our patient population after 5+ years of manual gel testing. I haven't seen anything to date that makes me want to go back to gel, though new players in the market might change things. I've been happy enough with the Echo that we just renewed our contract for 4 years.  

Bottom line...all 3 systems are still working pretty well. It will be interesting to see where upgrades and product improvements will take us over the next 5 or 6 years.

I think Bio-Rad expects to have their gel system and instrument in the US market sometime in 2014.  They certainly have been in no rush. Maybe they don't want to compete against their own Tango???  IF Ortho's new machine lives up to its billing I think it will be good--at least for my needs.  They have postponed its release several times--I think mostly because they haven't had Bio-Rad breathing down their necks yet as they first expected.