ISBT Split/divided Products In Meditech

I was wondering how other meditech users have been handling split/divided isbt labeled products in meditech?

In our meditech test environment divided products are scanning in with the letter of the division attached to the donation ID number. For instance when a RBC with the product code E0311VA0

is scanned into inventory an A is added on the end of the donation ID number. Our transfusion slips/crossmatch cards show the donation number with the letter of the division--i.e. A--on the end of the donor ID number. RBC products labeled in this manner would not be acceptable for transfusion at the patient bedside because the red cross donor number on the blood bag--which would not have the A on the end---would not match the donor identification number on the crossmatch card and transfusion slip generated in meditech. The ISBT 128 standards also suggest that the donor identification number on the blood bag should not be altered by placing a letter at the end of it. Because meditech appears to recognizes only the first 5 characters in the isbt blood product codes---for example in the product code above E0331--it does not seem possible to build a product code in meditech for a divided product. It seems that the letter of the division--in this example A--should be added to the product code and not the donor ID number?

Can anyone suggest a solution/workaround to this problem?

Thank you

Maria

Cliff, did the threads for ISBT in Meditech that were on the old site get archived?  I went live with ISBT on Meditech at my prior workplace.  We chose to give up making aliquots so I didn't have to test some of these things.  If you can find those old threads on here you might at least send private messages to some of the folks that posted then and are still active.  Those other users were much more useful to me than Meditech Support. BBBirder is a gem and she still gets on here occasionally, I think.  Sgoertzen is at a children's hospital so has much experience with aliquots.  Good luck!

What version of Meditech are you running?

We're validating ISBT right now for a suspense date of May 20th.

We're on 5.65 and as far as I'm aware of, there isn't a problem with the product codes.

When you print a transfusion record you're right it does add the suffix to the end of the donor number.

For us at least, it correctly scans and prints the aliquot identifiers inside of the product code.

We also use the TAR and the scanning verification process does work - I.E. trying to scan mother unit when aliquot A or B is entered will popup with an alert that this is not the correct product.

We are currently running  Meditech magic version 4.17b and will be upgrading to version 5.66 in November

2013. How does your facility handle meditech adding the suffix to the donor identification number? Do you add the suffix to the end of the donation identification number on the blood bag? Also how did you build product codes for divided red blood cell products?

Thank you

Maria 

Is Meditech going to correct the problem? The division code is part of the product code not the donor identification number.

We had this same problem in Sunquest. The system ignored the division characters on the product code. We had to manually enter the unit numbers for the apheresis plasma from our supplier and add the A, B ect. to the end of the unit number making it a non-ISBT number which caused all sorts of other problems. Sunquest finally fixed this by adding a unit division field so now the A0, B0, etc are captured when the bar code is scanned and when we split products the division codes are added. The problem now is that you cannot search the units in Blood Bank Inquiry that were entered this way before version 6.4 . We have to use a different program in Sunquest which can find the unit then you branch to Blood Bank Inquiry. Computers!!!!!! Do they really make our lives easier?