Hi All,  I need to purchase some more blood product transport coolers.  We tested out the new and "improved" one from thermo but it was a disaster.  It never held temperature and all the validations failed plus the zipper broke on it virtually the first day we had it (sigh).  So I'm wondering what you all are using or if you have recently purchased any that are working well for you.  Currently we have six of the hard thermo coolers which work wonderfully.  I would like to get something similar to those.

Thanks for your input!

:rolleyes:

Our surgery department rejected the canvas/zippered coolers.  Evidently they thought they couldn't be cleaned.

I agree--they are a disaster.

I am also trying find the hard coolers with inserts.  Let me know if you have any luck

I have "Cell Safe" transport coolers. They have inserts in them and come with freezer packs. I actually "lost" the inserts during a time when the coolers were not in use. I found that the hard tubs that the ALL detergent pods come in were almost an exact match in size, and since they were just a touch bigger they actually work better. By the way the cooler itself is made by Igloo.

We use Igloo Playmate MaxCold.  We validated them with five "dummy" units of red cells, one had a probe from our centralized temp monitoring system inserted into the bag.  At 24 hours, the temperature was reading 6.3C.  At a more realistic 10 hours, the tempeature was in the 4.5C-5C range.  We also have three of the large chest size for massive transfusions and liver transplants.  They validate even better!  These coolers are well made and MUCH cheaper than the Thermo ones.  Make sure you get the MaxCold series.  They are blue and white. 

Of course, the best cooler on the world is not going to work if they keep the lid open.  That is why we use an infrared gun thermometer to record the temp of all returned units. 

We also use the Credo coolers and have validated them to maintain 1-6C for 20 hours. The freezer ice packs (they call them TICS) leave more room in the cooler for blood products. The system uses 6 freezer inserts - all sides, top and bottom. The only complaint I have heard is that they are slightly heavier than what we used before.

• 1 year later...

We use Igloo Playmate MaxCold.  We validated them with five "dummy" units of red cells, one had a probe from our centralized temp monitoring system inserted into the bag.  At 24 hours, the temperature was reading 6.3C.  At a more realistic 10 hours, the tempeature was in the 4.5C-5C range.  We also have three of the large chest size for massive transfusions and liver transplants.  They validate even better!  These coolers are well made and MUCH cheaper than the Thermo ones.  Make sure you get the MaxCold series.  They are blue and white. 

Of course, the best cooler on the world is not going to work if they keep the lid open.  That is why we use an infrared gun thermometer to record the temp of all returned units. 

What brand is the infrared gun thermometer, who was the supplier and how much did it cost?

Catherine

What brand is the infrared gun thermometer, who was the supplier and how much did it cost?

Catherine

We recently purchased a ScanTemp 485 temp gun.  Have been very pleased.  Validated it against our NIST thermometer.  Of course, now we are discarding more products

:( .

• 11 months later...

I'm also getting ready to test out the ShockWatch TrekView gadget  - to monitor internal temperature of the cooler - they are less than $50 each.  Can be used up to 26 times.  They are cute, too!

We use these and they are great!

Has anyone considered putting temperature trackers in the boxes? That way even if the blood it slightly out of temp, if it has been for less than 30 minutes, there is no need to throw it away.

Where is the regulation stating that the blood can be out of temperature for 30 minutes? 

Since coolers can never really be validated (like someone said, cannot control opening/closing and temperature of the room/car will affect the temperature flux ... plus there's no guarantee the units are actually staying inside the cooler the whole time), and since those little temperature check labels are difficult to validate and expensive (and timely to remember to put them on during an emergency), we take the temperature of the unit of blood at the time it is returned.  FDA made it very clear to us that the blood is 'in storage' if it's sent anywhere in a cooler, so the return temperature must be 1-6oC.

Currently, we record the start temp and return temp of the coolers using that as the 'return temp' of the unit ... I'm seriously thinking that is not necessary/valid because the bottom line is the actual temperature of the returned unit, not the cooler.  (Igloo, purchased at local stores in the spring/summer ... red and white = 1-6oC, blue and white = 20-24oC storage.)

PS Tried those infrared thermometers ... cannot get them to validate.  Tried the Temp-Check machine ... cannot get it to validate.  Etc.  So, we are still using the old fashioned 'fold it over a precooled thermometer' (precooled because it takes to long to go from room temperature to 1-6oC).  If anyone has a better thermometer that will validate, please post the information so we can purchase one!  Thanks!

Ah... In the UK it is accepted by the MHRA that blood can be out of refrigeration for 30 minutes. Loggers mean that the temperature is tracked for the whole time. If the seal on the box has been opened this invalidates any tracking as we do not know that the blood has been sat on the bench for half an hour and put back in.

By your own argument about opening and closing and no guarantees they are in the cooler the whole time - what use is taking the temperature when they are returned to the lab? They could have been sat on the side and the temp come up to 10oC and put back in and the temp brought back down by the cooler itself, in time for its return to the lab. If you are going to go of unit temperature, the only failsafe is the dots.

Expense in bloodbank is meaningless - safety and compliance comes first ;)

Ah... In the UK it is accepted by the MHRA that blood can be out of refrigeration for 30 minutes. Loggers mean that the temperature is tracked for the whole time. If the seal on the box has been opened this invalidates any tracking as we do not know that the blood has been sat on the bench for half an hour and put back in.

By your own argument about opening and closing and no guarantees they are in the cooler the whole time - what use is taking the temperature when they are returned to the lab? They could have been sat on the side and the temp come up to 10oC and put back in and the temp brought back down by the cooler itself, in time for its return to the lab. If you are going to go of unit temperature, the only failsafe is the dots.

Expense in bloodbank is meaningless - safety and compliance comes first ;)

In my opinion you are absolutely, sanely right on this!  But unfortunately, 'here in the states' we have a different set of rules to follow mandated by the FDA.  I always say 'Europe is ahead of us' on these things ... which is why I enjoy hearing your responses.

• 1 month later...

Is this the one you're using? Click here

I want to purchase to try it out but I want to be sure it's the same one you're referring too. What are you using to keep cold inside, bags of ice? Cooler packs? And how many? Thank you!

We use the same Igloo Playmate Max-Cold coolers. We use bags of wet ice on top of the units and have not had any problems. We have an\ handy ice machine in BB. The freezer packs didn't work for us because our freezer was too cold and brought the temp too low. Also they would disappear. (!?!) We currently have validated for 8 hours but the surgeons are now wanting to keep the coolers with the patients for an extra period of time. I plan on validating next time for 10-12 hours. We also validate with the lid open the whole time as the next to the worst senario. The worst is that they take the unit out and lay it on the counter. I am considering the dots but really hate to mess with them until forced to.

We ordered ours online from Target and they were cheaper than Amazon. I think around $28

Thanks for that feedback it's very useful! I am going to buy one to try them out and see how far we can extend the validation. So did you validate it both ways, open and close or just open? I can see AABB coming in and saying, well if the majority of the time it's closed, how can you verify it's not getting TOO cold? Ugh! AABB can be so frustrating!

We have only validated with it open. I place several expired units in the bottom, use a thermometer with a wire probe between the units and set ice over every thing. Temps every 30 minutes. Never had anyone question this but we are not inspected by AABB so they may be more ticky about such things. We have been sending blood to surgery for years and the blood doesn't come back too cold.

We send coolers to ER for trauma too. Yesterday we went to pick up the cooler. The cooler was open ( :( ) but the blood was still below the ice and within temp. Hoo-ray!

We dont know what they do with the coolers once they take them from our sight. I figure they are open more than they are closed. I think that is another reason we like the wet ice covering the units because the freezer packs would require the cooler to be closed at all times. I know I can't guarantee they leave them closed.