Sign in to follow this  
Michele Herman

Anticoagulant Volumes For Divided Apheresis Products

Our facility is struggling with how to deal with anticoagulant volumes when preparing neonatal aliquots from apheresis products.  Are any facilities performing manual calculations for this?  Does your LIS software perform the calculation?

I would recommend a manual calculation, which should be fairly easy to do. 

Aliquot Anticoagulant = (Aliquot volume/Original product volume) x Original Anticoagulant Volume

So if making a 20 mL aliquot from an original product containint 200 mL and 15 mL anticoagulant:

Aliquot Anticoagulant = (20/200) x 15 = 1.5 mL

-Heather

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mcgardner
      Hello
      Wondering what other hospital transfusion services do with double pack apheresis platelets.  Do they combine before sending or does nursing combine at the bedside?
      Thanks
    • By walkerdandl
      We use BacT/Alert and followed new CAP requirement to "have a system for monitoring blood cultures for adequate volume and feeding back the results to blood collectors".
      We performed random volume checks throughout 2014 using 5ml - 10ml as an acceptable volume for adults - knowing that 5ml is too little (should be 7ml I would think). Manufacturer only says "10ml is optimal" - no minimum or maximum. Do others feel the same? Even at 5ml only 75% met the criteria. (Of course most of the failures were nurse draws.) As a result of this I want to include this monitor as a 2015 QA monitor with more indept monitoring and followup to get this to improve.
      Others doing this check and are you getting similar results? How do you document that you provided feedback to the "blood collectors"?

• By Mabel Adams
      When we aliquot an apheresis product we get a full face label for the aliquot and a quandrant 3 & 4 label for the parent unit stating the new product volumes of each.  The product description on the original label includes "xxx mL containing approx ___ml ACD-A" with a value handwritten in the blank space. Our aliquot labels have this same wording on them.  When you label your aliquot or add the quadrant 3&4 label to the original bag what do you do with the handwritten anticoagulant volume?  Leave it blank on both (even though you are covering up the original on the parent unit)? Calculate the ratio for each aliquot?  Copy the original total volume back onto the label for the now lower volume parent unit? (With additional aliquots this value will get more and more inaccurate.)

I doubt this really matters but I would like to know what others do.
  • Advertisement

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.