online group study for SBB exam

samah

I am planing to take SBB exam in August .Therefore, I want to have

.online group study to study with or if there is any one lives in Cincinnati so we can encourage each other

For example each day we will read a chapter from Technical Manual and discuss it together

please let me know if you interested to be a member of this group

or you have a better idea

Samah

Please search and go through all the threads regarding SBB exam..You will find very important information and what to study and helpful hints...

I am also an SBB student and will be taking the exam at the end of this year. Thank you for this advice. I am very nervous about the exam but am hoping that reading the threads helps.

Why don't you post to this message board your questions or thoughts as you read each chapter. I am sure we all you help you. It may also benefit those that are taking the exam at a later date.

I am planing to take SBB exam in August .Therefore, I want to have

.online group study to study with or if there is any one lives in Cincinnati so we can encourage each other

For example each day we will read a chapter from Technical Manual and discuss it together

please let me know if you interested to be a member of this group

or you have a better idea

Samah

That is a great idea ChrisH. Old timers like me (maybe that should be lifers - 40 years must count for something) could learn / refresh as you go along. We could add comments or questions as you go.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers

Eoin

Edited by Eoin

• 4 months later...

If anyone else would like a copy of the SBB review guide, just send me your email address.

Hello Emwilson7, I have a question about the material in these notes.  (Thank you for sending me a copy!)  On page 101 there is this remark which confuses me: 

"To provide a safety margin in calculating RhIG dosage, the following approach may be used:  When the number to the right of the decimal is less than five, round down and add one dose of RhIG.  When the number to the right of the decimal point is 5 or greater, round up to the next number and add one dose of RhIG, i.e. 2.5 doses (calculated) requires 4 doses.  DO NOT ADD A DOSE ON THE EXAM."

I participated in The Last Chance Review last February, and there it was stressed that the dose should be added when making calculations for the exam.

What is your opinion?  When calculating the RhIG dose for problems on the exam, should we add or not add a vial? 

Thank you!

Catherine Baldwin
Edited by cbaldwin

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Emwilson7, I have a question about the material in these notes.  (Thank you for sending me a copy!)  On page 101 there is this remark which confuses me: 

"To provide a safety margin in calculating RhIG dosage, the following approach may be used:  When the number to the right of the decimal is less than five, round down and add one dose of RhIG.  When the number to the right of the decimal point is 5 or greater, round up to the next number and add one dose of RhIG, i.e. 2.5 doses (calculated) requires 4 doses.  DO NOT ADD A DOSE ON THE EXAM."

I participated in The Last Chance Review last February, and there it was stressed that the dose should be added when making calculations for the exam.

What is your opinion?  When calculating the RhIG dose for problems on the exam, should we add or not add a vial? 

Thank you!

Catherine Baldwin

I had a RhIg calculation question on my exam, and I remember it specifically giving directions on whether to add a dose or not. I can't remember which way though, It's been a while now since I've taken the exam.

I questioned this also.  I took my exam in July of this year and passed!!!! (Hip-hip-hooray, especially for someone with such an aged brain.)

When I read this in the materials and saw conflicting things in other reviews so I though, I will just do what we always do and add a dose.There was a question about RhIG dosing on the exam.  I don't remember the deails.  I don't know if I missed that question or not, but I did manage to pass!

Linda Frederick

Thank you!

Catherine Baldwin

Many have mentioned what they did to study (Transfusion, Technical Manual, Issitt, Daniels, Last Chance Review, etc.) and I want to add some additional items about what I did to study.

1)  I found Malcolm's educational powerpoints on blood group systems on this web page to be very helpful. (Thank you so much for sharing.)

2)  I read lots of abstracts and some articles in the journal "Blood" (many of them are open content, all are after one year).  Particularly about coagulation disorders and treatments and hemolytic anemias.

3)  The web page "Blood Bank Guy" has lectures and quizzes and this helped me.

4)  I am a visual learner.  I would do searches and look for Google Images (it is amazing what is out there, like pretty cartoons of Platelet glycoproteins, Complement cascade, red cell antigen structures) and then print them out and (literally!) cut and paste them into a study notebook.  Then I'd add my notes.

5) practice the "Blood Bank Math" problems <repeat>

Linda Frederick