Blood bank supervisors - Who does YOUR competency assessment?

Kathy

A BB technologist that is supervisory qualified as far as NYSDOH is concerned does mine. Seems odd, but my Medical Director or Clinical Director don't review my work, see my technique, see me sign out blood, etc. So we agreed that this works for us here. We've passed quite a few inspections, but you never know...

A BB technologist that is supervisory qualified as far as NYSDOH is concerned does mine. Seems odd, but my Medical Director or Clinical Director don't review my work, see my technique, see me sign out blood, etc. So we agreed that this works for us here. We've passed quite a few inspections, but you never know...

I'm getting the impression (as we transistion from CAP to Joint Comm) that this is the way they feel about it too. Looks like you (the supervisor) can to be deemed "competent" only by someone who is also deemed "competent" in your department. That is usually not the Lab Director and may not even be the Technical Supervisor (for Immunohematology this is the MD in charge of Blood Bank) over Blood Bank. Does that mean you establish the competency of some senior team members (if you have any) and that they then establish your competency - sort of peer review? Has anyone been inspected by Joint and addressed this?

I would recommend that as long as you state what is required in the competency assesor to enable them to carry out assessments. then you can allow for more than one assessor and they assess each other.

This seems to be the way the UK regulatory / accreditation agencies are wanting us to go.

We state what we consider to be our requirement and then stick to it.

e.g. must have qualification x, y and z and have carried out work as senior member of staff in discipline "a" for 4 years minimum and attended training course on "subject" etc