72 or 48 hours

Rh-fan

AABB changed 72 hours to 3 days many years ago.

Date of draw being Day 0.

This way, the specimen expires at midnight ... just like everything else.

So that can be up to 96 hours or is that not a good interpretation.

If you draw the sample at 4 in the morning (at day 0) you can transfuse till day 3 at 24:00. That is 92 hours.

Is this correct?

If you draw the sample at 4 in the morning (at day 0) you can transfuse till day 3 at 24:00. That is 92 hours.

Is this correct?

Correct. Depending on when the specimen was drawn on day 0, your timeframe will be between 72 and 96 hours.

Is this correct?

That is correct, we have been doing this for years. It makes sense, otherwise, if you specify specimen outdate to the level of precision of hours, you have to monitor for expired specimens on an hourly basis. Typically (with exceptions), we release blood from crossmatch on the morning of the 3rd day after specimen collection.

Same as Joanne, above. The screen "expires" at midnight on the third day after the specimen was drawn. Of course, we extend usually will extend specimen outdates beyond three days if the patient has not been pregnant/transfused in the last 3 mos.

Scott

If we get sent a specimen without a time on it (almost, but not quite universal), we put it into our computer as 00.01, so that it will outdate after 72 hours whatever the real time was. Mind you, having said that, it is very unusual that we are asked to cross-match a second time on the same sample (usually, we are asked to cross-match the first time before we even receive the sample).

Thank you all for this information,

I am writing an abstract/case report about a patient who had made an anti Jkb after 72 hours and 4 days later had made an anti S (beside the anti E and anti Fya that were known already). And I was interested in the time in other labs.

Peter

I am writing an abstract/case report about a patient who had made an anti Jkb after 72 hours and 4 days later had made an anti S (beside the anti E and anti Fya that were known already). And I was interested in the time in other labs.

Peter

Yikes! Nasty surprise! Good luck in the future on this pt - should be about done with new antibodies by now.

Peter

Agreed, that is quite a "responder" you have there!

INteresting. I worked for a long time at a facility where we repeated adsorption studies on patients with WAA every two weeks - recommending as compatible or more compatible than ac during the intervening time. However, we had a patient that developed a new antibody (anti-Kell) within one week post adsorption study. So at that time, we revised our policyon repeat adsorption studies to repeating once every seven days. Of course, one policy just like one technic serve as our best, thoughtfully considered practice - but exceptions happen - like your patient. Wow, did you just get a phenotype and start giving this patient phenotypically matched units?