LOINK result coding

Have any of you dealt (successfully) with "Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes" coding especially for reference lab results? http://loinc.org/ (LO- OINK?)

It is designed to be a "universal" result coding system for laboratories in the US subscribing to the affordable care act ACA. It is supposed to unify the result coding for all health care computers making test results readable by any health care computer. From what I understand, Health care Laboratories must implement this reporting system by the end of 2013 or face government penalties.

For free standing blood centers with an IRL is there a module for reporting reference lab results or does a facility need to implement the whole system (Hematology, Chemistry, Coag, Micro, etc) to get at the immunohematology reference lab report codes?

I am in a blood center with an IRL and am concerned about our reports to hospitals. The only clinical lab we have is for immunohematology. Currently each report is customized and typed. We do not issue a computerized report. I can see using standardization for a numerical answer but we report things like the antigen frequency, ways to serologically approach the patient in the future, and transfusion recommendations that, while not impossible to turn into a "LOINK", would be difficult.

We will figure it out.

• 6 months later...