New Supplier for Rhogam

Mary**

We have all been notified that Ortho sold the rights to Kedrion for Rhogam, which will take place in March. Has anyone investigated getting it from BDI Pharma? I think they distribute RhoGAM, Phophylac, and HyperRHO. I am looking for the best price. :confused:

I have decided to go with BDI. What I did not understand to start with is that Rhogam is a different product than Rhophylac. I have been getting the latter. Regardless, BDI has given me a better price. I know that our pharmacy already orders from them, so I feel that they are a reputable vendor.

We have all been notified that Ortho sold the rights to Kedrion for Rhogam, which will take place in March. Has anyone investigated getting it from BDI Pharma? I think they distribute RhoGAM, Phophylac, and HyperRHO. I am looking for the best price. :confused:

BDI is a really good distributor, but there is more to the difference than IM and IV administration between Rhogam and Rhophylac. In Transfusion I think it was 2007 was a study on Rh negative women that talked to BMI, women that were 28BMI and after 3 days dramatically dropped absorption of RhIG. These women never reached a preventive titer. Several things were thought to be the cause but one that stood out to us was the possibility of administration being subq rather than IM. Not like it is pain meds and we can give more later. Our doctors thought the needle that is permanently attached to the Rhogam syringe was too short for IM administration, and whenever possible it should be given post partum IV. Rhophylac has a separate needle which is a standard size for IM and if the patient is smaller the outpatient dept can change to a shorter needle. Inpatients we mark the RH negative moms IV's with a sticker saying RH negative, then saline lock them post delivery, a little bit of learning curve to get use to keeping the IV's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At my last hospital, we stocked enough Rhophylac to be the 1st dose in a patient with ITP. Pharmacy was expiring the IGG they used and we never expired Rhophylac. I miss Rhophylac. I suggested it here and was told "we tried that and the nurses hated it". May re-assess soon.