Final Check

PAWHITTECAR

I looked at it and like it . . . it is a barrier system so you only need one blood type on record (to satisfy CAP). I use BloodLocs which predate the Typenex product but are the same principle. I like the typenex device better but Nursing doesn't want to switch (for whatever reason).

David,

Have you had cases where the nurse simply cuts the bag to remove the unit rather than opening the lock? It seems that this could be a problem. I would think that it might be wise to have them return the lock & bag to ensure it was properly opened on their end. Call me a sceptic

We have been using the Final Check system since last February/March. We used the BloodLoc system prior to the Final Check. We found the Final Check system easier to use and the transition for nursing was pretty easy. The RN's like it better. We have the RN return the transport bag with the bag tag inside it. We do not have them return the lock. We can then tell if the bag was tampered with. We are a system of 4 hospitals and by mid February we will all be using Final Check. We range from a large level 1 trauma center to a small community hospital.

We are also looking at this for our entire system of 5 hospitals, 3 of which are small rural hospitals. We think this is cheaper and more convienient than resticking everyone. Only about 10% of our red cells would need these. I would like feed back from folks out there.

Thanks ahead of time.

We are a hospital of 150 beds and presently use the blood-lock system. We too are looking at Final Check. With Blood Lock we have green tabs we give to all of our Auto donors ...Got a notice they are not making the green tabs anymore. With Final Check do you have a way to identify auto donors from regular patients?