Biorad Reagents and Clay Adams Serofuge

SRTECH

Is anybody using both Biorad Reagents and Clay Adams 2002 Serofuge? My Blood Bank is considering ordering Biorad Reagents instead of Ortho and Immucor. Biorads reagents inserts states to spin @ 800-1000 RCF or g. Clay Adams set to 3400 RPM. The conversion calculators I got needs a radius for the rotor. I measured the rotor and got app. 6cm. This works to 817 RCF. I had someone else calculate and he got 7.5 radius and >1000g. Any comments or views will be greatly appreciated. :confused: Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am just now beginning my correlations with the Bio-Rad reagents.  From the package insert they say in one place to spin for 20 seconds at 800-1000 g, but then under notes they say "Each facility should verify the optimum spin time for the specific centrifuge in use".  So far everything is correlating perfectly with 15 second centrifugation at 3400 rpm.  I don't know if I should be worried about an inspector looking at the 20 second package insert and giving me a deficiency.  What does everyone else think?

bldbnkr,

At our last inspection the inspector indicated that we should be calibrating our centrifuge for immediate spin use for saline active antibodies, high protein antibodies, for cell washing, and for antiglobulin testing.  In the AABB technical manual appendices the procedure is defined.  We settled on performing this twice per year after discussion with the inspector.  There is indication that a modification to the procedure reducing the number of time periods tested could be performed after the initial determination has been made for optimal time for each of the procedures.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Deny Morlino

We use the Clay Adams 2001 and Biorad reagents and they work just fine.  Just be sure if you use the rare antisera that you read the instructions for each one, because at least one of them states to use a 30 or 60 second spin.  We normally use 20 seconds so this is hard to remember.