Your impressions of Genesis BPS new "Plasmatherm" thawer

sgoertzen

I now have funds available for purchase of a new plasma thawer. We have always used the Helmer DH8 and have had no real problems with it - we just wore it out! I'm interested in seeing if anyone has purchased the new "Plasmatherm" made by Barkey and sold by Genesis BPS? If so, what is your impression of it? Does it thaw as rapidly as the Helmer waterbath type of thawer? I understand it only thaws 4 plasma units at a time, but how does it work with cryo? Do you lay cryo bags on top of each other to thaw more units rapidly? Is maintenance really as easy as they say?

I am looking at the same exact thawers! I was hoping to see if anybody had any luck with the Genesis BPS. We currently have a Thermogenesis that is on its last leg. We love having a dry waterbath, but Thermogenesis no longer makes them. Helmer recently bought the line, but they do not have the dry waterbath available.

• 3 months later...

We too are looking to replace a Thermogenesis  -- anyone out there at all with any experience with the Plasmatherm thawer?   I'd love feedback from someone, even if you have only used it a short time.  Or if you considered it but went with an alternative, share your reasons.  I already know everyone raves about their Helmer thawers....but our medical director really, really wants a dry thaw process. The microwaves are just too pricey, especially if we need multiple units to thaw big quantities of products for plasma exchange procedures or to handle massive transfusion emergencies.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have recently purchased one of the Genesis Plasmatherms and I am in the process of writing the validation plan.  It seems as there may not be many out there using these devices but I want to ask what others have included in their validation plans to make sure the device is properly functioning, other than the general temp/time check and water filling, etc.  Did you include thawing a certain number of plasma/cryo prior to putting it into use to validate function/time?  Any input provided is appreciated!

Thanks! 

I always follow IQ, OQ, PQ for validations:

IQ: all installation requirements are met (location, temp, humidity, etc)

OQ: operates exactly as the manufacturer says. So I go through their manual and everything they say it should do...I validate.

PQ: does it work the way we want it to operate at our hospital. So yes, in this case, you would thaw a unit of plasma and make sure it thaws in the time period that it says it should and that the post thaw temp is still cold so you're not overthawing.

• 9 months later...

We just recently purchased the Plasmatherm so the verdict is still out on the dry bath vs wet bath.  Doing my first validation on this so I was hoping to get some help.  Some great ideas already mentioned.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend the transmed sahara III - as well as all the palasmatherm has it also has an ice indicator and beeps when there is none left. Temperature is logged for the whole thaw and if it thaws more quickly than expected it tells you. In addition to this there is a 'fast thaw' for FFP.

One thing to note about dry thawers is you must put the bag with the label side down on the platform.