Billing Date

PAWHITTECAR

HELP!!

Ok so I am having some billing issues with an antibody workup. The initial order was for a Type and Rh performed the evening of 1/2/13. Then the next morning 1/3/13 I spoke with the MD who wanted the antibody screen and ID performed. I billed for the antibody screen and ID with a service date of 1/3/13 because that was when it was completed. Well patient in question was readmitted the morning of 1/3/13 with of course a different billing number.

Accounting is saying that I should be billing this with a service date of 1/2/13 because that is when the testing took place OR bill it on the account number from 1/3/13 which is different from the one that the specimen was collected under.

Citing CMS rules on date of service and such.

I have always been told to bill stuff on the date that the testing was performed but cannot cite a CMS rule to back this up?? anybody have any ideas of how to handle this??

this is always tricky. Yes they are right, you need to associate your ABID with your orginal specimen. I do not know which LIS you are using , but if you are able to add on the test to same number you should do that to avoid billing issue. Same is true for crossmatch.

We do the same, add on to the original accessation #.