SBB Exam

Emwilson7

Congratulations! I felt the same way when I took it 15 years ago. Back then you didn't know whether you passed or not for a week. I was sure I had failed but, through some undeserved grace, I passed.

I was in the same boat. Toward the end of the exam I was sure that I had failed, then got a nice suprise!

Congratulations! I felt the same way when I took it 15 years ago. Back then you didn't know whether you passed or not for a week. I was sure I had failed but, through some undeserved grace, I passed.

Congrats to you as well. You key to the secret club is in the mail. :)

Congrats on a good job . . . it is blood bank trivial pursuits. I had a staff member ask me if she should take the exam . . . I told her - look at all the knowledge you will gain even if you don't pass . . . she passed. Even when you don't, you still learn a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to those of you who recently passed the test. I have studied for the test a few years ago but stop due to being scared. Now I am studying for it again because I want to get into doing genotyping and the molecular aspect of Blood bank. I think the an SBB will help my chances of getting a position in this feel. For those who have taken the test recently, how much molecular, or ISBT information in actually on the test?

On my exam I took on March 1st, there was none. There also wasn't a single question that involved antigen frequencies or panels. There were a lot of case study questions where you had to figure out if it was TTP, DIC, HUS, etc, then choose the appropriate treatment. There also was a question like "blah blah blah statement" is a requirement from A.Osha B.FDA C.AABB, etc. I also had 2 questions that gave you the current cost of a test and the length of time to perform it, then gave you 3 other options and you had to figure out which one was most cost effective. Another question with 4 pieces of equipment, their initial cost and the cost of yearly maintenance, and you have to figure out which one is most cost effective. Lots of questions with family studies and tracing where a particular gene was passed down (for example the dominant Lutheran inhibitor). I also had a couple questions on possible phenotype outcomes of children if their parents are of a given phenotype. You then had to figure out the possible genotype and go from there. One interesting one was a woman phenotypes as K+k-, of choices A,B,C,D that are possible outcomes for her children, which one would indicate the mother is a heterozygote for the Ko allele. Of all the hard memorization calculations, the only one I had to use was for calculating CCI.

Thanks Emily for your response. What you just mention is consider molecular (The lutheran case study, the genotype). Your post really help me. I am taking the test in June and want to see what the updated version of the test consist of. This sit has been a huge help.

Dawn

I figured you meant molecular methods like PCR, sequencing methods, molecular cloning, and the like. I did not have any questions that included anything of that sort. Not that it would have bothered me in the slightest if there was, I used to work in a molecular research lab before I got into the blood banking world!

Hello everyone, I just passed the SBB this morning! Such a relief! I was kind of surprised by the type of questions. I am a relatively new tech with 3 yrs BB experience. I didn't go through a traditional program, just studied the TM as well as notes given to me from the Gulf coast last chance review. I will highly recommend these notes as there were several questions right out of here (4-5)! On my exam, I had (3) hardy questions, 5-6 coags(vWD and treatment), 2-3 % yield, several genetics on Lu, Le, En inheritance. Overall, I had less on rare blood groups than I thought, maybe 1 or 2 questions total. Hope this helps anyone.

Congratulations!!!

I am starting to read the AABB Technical Manual and hoping to take my SBB next year. You are my motivation and I hope one day I will pass the SBB too.

To all that have been studying the SBB and passed the SBB,

Are there any questions books for the SBB exam? I feel like I learn better with reading a chapter and then doing a practice test right after.

If there is a book out there please let me know.

Thanks.

Jamie

To my knowledge there aren't any specific books for the exam, just the suggested reading materials on the ASCP site. I read the technical manual cover to cover twice, went through the SBB lectures given by Dr.Garraty at my work, and used the review guide given at the AABB conference.

To my knowledge there aren't any specific books for the exam, just the suggested reading materials on the ASCP site. I read the technical manual cover to cover twice, went through the SBB lectures given by Dr.Garraty at my work, and used the review guide given at the AABB conference.

Thanks for the tips Emily. I will start off reading the technical manual first before heading to other directions. Do you think most of the questions on the SBB exams are based on the Technical Manual? (As in Answers on the tests can be found in the manual?) Or it goes beyond that?

-Jamie.

There were quite a few that answers could be found in the technical manual, but the test does go beyond that. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, you're going to need to study from multiple resources. Another thing that really helped me was just working in a reference laboratory. I had the chance to actually work on some of those uncommon antibodies and find rare antigen types which helped the information stick.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...