SBB Exam

Emwilson7

Thanks!

I've read the technical manual cover to cover, been through Dr.Garrattys transfusion medicine lectures for SBB students, and gone through all the review materials my coworker brought back from AABB. In combination with my work experience as a reference tech for the past 3 years, I'm hoping that's enough, but when I go through practice questions I still don't feel so confident.

I took it 6 years ago and there was alot of coagulation questions [case studies and what product to give] and MATH problems, like Hardy Weinberg, Post platelet CCI, Red Cell recovery for whole blood, plus polyagglutination lectin reactions, and calculating FTEs and Instrument break point management questions. Also know all the high/low incidence antibodies like Co a and b, Di a and b etc.

I took it in 2007, there were a handful of management-type questions along with the previously mentioned topics. It was the first time I'd taken an adaptive computer-based test, which is supposed to get more difficult the better you're doing. So I freaked a bit when I thought I was doing decently and then got a very easy question about interviewing job candidates. If you have the time and the money I know there's some group that puts on a 2 day review session (I think its SCABB but didn't see it on their site). There's also usually an SBB Exam prep session at the annual AABB meeting. If you know someone that attended the meeting they might be able to get you the slides.

I think the format is still 100 questions, only 90 of which count towards your score (they 'test' 10 questions before officially making them part of the exam)

Good luck!

I've already got something scheduled for those days in February unfortunately. I already got the SBB exam prep materials from my coworker who went to AABB this past year. It's got a great section for review of math calculations, which I REALLY needed. I didn't realize how much of it I had forgotten. Thanks everyone for your input!

I really recommend Last Chance Review. I did the Florida Blood Service online SBB course and then also went to Last Chance Review. The concise presentation of the material gave a really nice study guide to augment my 12 3" binders from the SBB course. Plus there is a review on how to take the test that was nice. And it's always great to meet new people and network.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I just passed the SBB this morning! Such a relief! I was kind of surprised by the type of questions. I am a relatively new tech with 3 yrs BB experience. I didn't go through a traditional program, just studied the TM as well as notes given to me from the Gulf coast last chance review. I will highly recommend these notes as there were several questions right out of here (4-5)! On my exam, I had (3) hardy questions, 5-6 coags(vWD and treatment), 2-3 % yield, several genetics on Lu, Le, En inheritance. Overall, I had less on rare blood groups than I thought, maybe 1 or 2 questions total. Hope this helps anyone.

Hello everyone, I just passed the SBB this morning! Such a relief! I was kind of surprised by the type of questions. I am a relatively new tech with 3 yrs BB experience. I didn't go through a traditional program, just studied the TM as well as notes given to me from the Gulf coast last chance review. I will highly recommend these notes as there were several questions right out of here (4-5)! On my exam, I had (3) hardy questions, 5-6 coags(vWD and treatment), 2-3 % yield, several genetics on Lu, Le, En inheritance. Overall, I had less on rare blood groups than I thought, maybe 1 or 2 questions total. Hope this helps anyone.

Heartiest congratulatiosn to you Melissa84. As I am on this side of the pond, I have never had to take the SBB examination, but from what I've read on this site, it ain't easy! Anyone who sits and passes such an exam has my greatest respect. GOOD ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now go out and get drunk. One day/night can't harm you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes. My coworker took it today and failed, so I'm more than a little nervous.

Ehh, you can learn more from your failures than you do you successes. Most people fail the SBB, it does not define who you are if you fail, or if you pass.

Study hard and do well.

Ehh, you can learn more from your failures than you do you successes. Most people fail the SBB, it does not define who you are if you fail, or if you pass.

Study hard and do well.

I agree, but that is one expensive test to fail! I've been studying for over a year, lets just hope that's enough.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes. My coworker took it today and failed, so I'm more than a little nervous.

If I knew your coworker, I would offer her the same advice that I give our CLS (alias "Med Tech") students: "So you study & then you take it again. If you fail again, then you study & then you take it again.......etc."

Now, I know that there are a few individuals out there that truly should not pass the registry exams and be allowed to work in the laboratory, but I have worked with a couple individuals who didn't pass until the third time, and they went on to become extremely competent, valuable laboratorians. (Is that a real word??)

I agree, but that is one expensive test to fail! I've been studying for over a year, lets just hope that's enough.

Yes it is enough believe me... Few tips...Breath in and out before you start the exam!!!!As soon as I got my erase boards I wrote all my formulas and frequesncies and little jorgans I created. It took me 15 mins and almost 1.5 page....but it was a big help as it was like me study notes I was able to refer it to....