C3 testing on Positive DAT's

ChrisH

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what smaller hospitals are doing about c3 testing. We are doing only about 12 C3 tests a year, so that the Positive QC is real expsensive for us.

And if we want to send it out to our reference lab they want to do All the DAT and eluate if needed (which we may have already done).

If you are not doing the C3 are you putting a disclaimer on the report and if the doctor wants a C3 you would then send it out?

What are your inspectors saying, if anything.

Thanks

ChrisH,

We are currently "doing them" though the only ones we have done in the last 12 months were 2 on transfusion reactions. I looked into doing away with C3 totally but the CAP checklist question about testing for RBC bound complement. I did the math and would save $2700+ dollars a year if I could do away with C3 but I have not figured out how.

You might run polyahg and, if positive, anti-IgG. I don't know if you would want to assume that if the IgG was negatve you were seeing a C3+ DAT . . . I have seen the poly be weak pos and both monospecifics be negative . . . sometimes the cost of doing business seems excessive but - you could always send out all your +DATs and just run polyahg.

We do Poly AHG, and if positive, we run IgG. That's it. If the physician wants it, he/she orders just the complement, which is a reference lab send out for us. Unfortunately they require a different tube type, so the patient has to be redrawn. But these are ordered very rarely.

If you are a small hospital are you part of a larger sytem? We are a 4 hospital system and we run C3s for the 3 smaller facilities, if needed rather than them sending it to the reference lab. Or could one of the facilities that your "once a week" pathologist is associated with, run them for you? This is way more cost effective than reference labs. Sorry Malcolm

If you are a small hospital are you part of a larger sytem? We are a 4 hospital system and we run C3s for the 3 smaller facilities, if needed rather than them sending it to the reference lab. Or could one of the facilities that your "once a week" pathologist is associated with, run them for you? This is way more cost effective than reference labs. Sorry Malcolm

No problem DOGLOVER; I agree entirely with your thinking.

It will require validation for Quest. Quest is a very big lab providing services to physician labs and hospitals worldwide. Making a change would be difficult but it would be a good idea to ask them question. If everyone using Quest would ask they might think about it.

Sorry, I think we cross-posted Trish, but I still don't understand why they want ACD, rather than EDTA samples for this.

Would you mind asking them Terri (in your own time - no hurry)?

We are a small rural lab and for years have sent all Poly AHG Testing out to our United Blood Services reference lab for Anti C3d confirmation as we can't afford compliment coated check cells. We report the initial results and say we have sent the C3d out for confirmation, we only request the C3d and that is all that is done. For all the non-neonatal DATs we do it is much less expensive than ordering Compliment coated check cells. It has always been an EDTA sample as well.

We had an arrangement with our blood supplier to do C3 but they got bought out and no longer do just C3 they want to do the whole workup which would be duplicate. We are a stand alone hospital, but we do have a larger hospital not that far, I am going to see if they will do just C3 for us.