Wolf Centre in Devon UK.

Malcolm Needs

Cliff, this has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with blood transfusion, but is very close to my heart. If I'm wrong in posting it on this website, I apologise and will undertsand if you take it down...............but,

the local council in Devon is trying to close down the Wolf Centre (where they are trying to conserve wolves).

These creatures are amongst the most misunderstood in the entire world, and need as much protection as possible. If you agree with me and think that closing this Centre would be awful, please sign the petition here. (http://www.thewolfcentre.co.uk/page/save-the-centre-campaign/sign-our-petition)

The more people who sign from throughout the world, the more the chance of saving it.

:please::please::please::please::please:

I've signed, too, Malcolm. My hometown of Ipswich, Massachusetts (named after the English town of course) has a similar organization www.wolfhollowipswich.org, although apparently better accepted by the city fathers. It's an intesting stop if you're in the area and closer to some of us than Devon.

Our local zoo used to feature "Don't Feed The Animals!" signs with a picture of an immense, slavering wolf knocking a terrified peasant to the ground. Now the signs have a dull explanation about diets, etc. I miss the wolves.

More than happy to sign. Here in southern New Mexico, USA we are trying to have a Mexican Grey wolf recovery program that would actually reintroduce the animals to the wild, but it has gone very slowly with many of the animals still killed by ranchers and hunters due to many of the same misunderstandings. We also have a wolf and wolf/dog hybrids sanctuary in northen New Mexico that shelters some of the wolf and wolf/dogs turned in from misguided owners who thought they would make good pets. http://www.wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org/ Doesn't work out well for most owners.

I signed. They have opened up hunting wolves in Wyoming. An alpha female from a pack in Yellowstone National Park has been killed. I considered myself (and my grandsons) very fortunate to have seen one of the wolves in the wild.

The New York Times is posting a story about 06's killing. It's online now and looks to run in print tomorrow. Hopefully this will help bring the spotlight to these ridiculous and unnecessary killings of Yellowstone wolves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/science/earth/famous-wolf-is-killed-outside-yellowstone.html?_r=0

In late October wolf #824M a male Mollie wolf was killed,

In early November #829F a Blacktail Plateau female wolf was killed

Sunday November 10, #754M the Betamale of the Lamar Canyon pack was killed in WY

Tuesday November 13, #823F the only collared wolf in the newly formed Junction Butte pack was killed in MT

At an unknown time the Alpha Pair # 762 and 763 of the Madison Pack that have been in and out of YNP recently were killed -- it is unknown what has happened to the rest of the pack.

793 of the Snake River pack just south of YNP was killed in WY.

Malcolm,

Say if you com eto MN (maybe for the ICII meeting next June) you could take a side trip up to northeastern MN. In Ely , gateway to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, there is a fascinating well established Wolf Center. OR - you could read about it on the web. Maybe they would have some ideas to save "your" facility.

Becky THomas

P.S> I grew up in Ely.