Restricting access to blood fridge

HEP

Hello, this is my first post on here so please be gentle :)

At present our blood fridge is not locked and is located on a ward. MHRA are due in (I suspect in part due to this very issue) and I wondered if anyone has experience of installing a locking system to an existing fridge? A new fridge would obviously be ideal but very expensive and management seem very reluctant to lock the fridge anyway. I am the PQM not the BT lab manager and there are some differences of opinion here.

The other option is of course to move the fridge to a small room of it's own and have security access of some sort on the door but I would think then there would be all sorts of issues with temperature control etc.

Does anyone have any ideas or know of a good keypad/code lock that can be fitted to a blood fridge?

Many thanks in advance!

The best thing would be to phone the fridge supplier and see if an electronic key pad could be fitted. I wouldn't consider a key lock safe to use on a blood fridge as the keys inevitably go missing or are left dangling in a visible unsecured location. You also want to be able to access the fridge should the lock fail- but with some sort of audible alarm.

In the meantime you should raise a change control request and note down the options that have been considered. The small room idea sounds good as the external door could be fitted easily with a key pad; the fridge would need some sort of link to an external alarm, but as long as there is sufficient space in the room and the temperature is fairly stable, i'm not what other issues there would be regarding temperature control except mapping the fridge- which isn't really that difficult.

If you decide to remove the fridge then don't forget the change control and risk assessment.

Hope this helps

Edited by RR1
forgot somethibg

Thanks Rashmi and Mabel for the replies. I will raise a change control and a non-conformance before I do anything. Then I will contact both the fridge manufacturer and the company you mention Mabel.

The fridge is mapped and has an alarm which is a good start but I think that means the fridge has to stay where it is as the mapping stuff is all attached to the wall there. It is in a natural alcove which means that we could in theory build a cubicle around it but this is obviously then going to cost more £££ and space may be an option. I was worried about temperature control in a small room in case the fridge overheats.

This is a small independent hospital and moving forward with (or several years behind even!) the times is not a strong point but we are getting there :)

Hi HEP,

Sounds as though the stuff on the wall is to do with the alarm connections- and they can be moved if needed. You are right about the small room -if there is poor ventilation then a small aircon unit would be needed, adding to the cost.

If you are upfront with the MHRA inspector about this issue and tell them what you are planning a non-conformance may actually help you obtain resources, though you will need to show a risk assessment of the current status/use.

Hi HEP,

Sounds as though the stuff on the wall is to do with the alarm connections- and they can be moved if needed. You are right about the small room -if there is poor ventilation then a small aircon unit would be needed, adding to the cost.

If you are upfront with the MHRA inspector about this issue and tell them what you are planning a non-conformance may actually help you obtain resources, though you will need to show a risk assessment of the current status/use.

Thanks Rashmi, I will raise the non-conformance, RA and think about a change control and set this thing in motion.

:)