Rh Control

Michaele

So how many out there use Rh control during blood typing? We have always used it with every typing. Our anti-D reagent is monoclonal. I just got word that our Rh control is being discontinued, so wondering if we need to continue this practice.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Check the package insert of your Anti-D reagent to see if they require a D control for all types. If not, it's probably something that you've been doing for so many years because of a previous D reagent or different vendor.

The only time we do one is for AB Pos patients.

• 2 weeks later...
So how many out there use Rh control during blood typing? We have always used it with every typing. Our anti-D reagent is monoclonal. I just got word that our Rh control is being discontinued, so wondering if we need to continue this practice.

We use 8% albumin. We use control if only testing for RH and on type AB patients.

We still do it, but mainly because I have lots of rotator generalists who probably aren't going to remember they have to do it for AB patients.

We have the result patterns set up in our BB LIS to not allow an interpretaion of AB+ unless the D control is resulted as negative. This has stopped our generalists on several occassions from not doing the D control when appropriate.

The bulk of our work is done on the Galileo and it automatically runs D control. So we only had to worry about those times the testing was being performed manually i.e. traumas or when the analyzer down for PM

We have a Provue which automatically has a negative control in the ABD/Reverse card. Same applies when we do bench testing (use same cards, manual gel). We use these cards on adults.

On cord bloods, we use ABD only cards on the Provue. For AB pos infants, a 2nd tech performs a blood type on the same cord blood specimen, including a negative (6% albumin control).

-Colleen Hinrichsen

Check with the manufacturer of the Anti-D reagent you are using - if it is a monoclonal reagent, the manufacturer probably has a monoclonal control reagent that is used in association with the Anti-D monoclonal antisera. This monoclonal reagent serves the same purpose as the Rh-hr control reagent used when human based, poloyclonal Anti-D reagents were routinely used for testing. Call your sales representative.

Yes,it is true the forward ABO group can serve as Rh control.

The Rh control is necessary (especially in apparently group AB positive patients) and also

An Rh control must always be run along with the weak D test. Always consult the product insert to determine if Rh Control needs to be run when performing the immediate spin D testing.

• 2 months later...

If you are using Immucor Anti-D series 4 or 5, Immucor is replacing rH control with a product called Monoclonal Control. I received a letter from the company dated Aug 29, 2012 stating which control to use with their different reagents. Gamma-clone reagents can use either Gamma-clone Control or Monoclonal Control.

We have the result patterns set up in our BB LIS to not allow an interpretaion of AB+ unless the D control is resulted as negative. This has stopped our generalists on several occassions from not doing the D control when appropriate.

The bulk of our work is done on the Galileo and it automatically runs D control. So we only had to worry about those times the testing was being performed manually i.e. traumas or when the analyzer down for PM

That would work well, except I don't have a BB LIS.........heavy sigh!

If you are using Immucor Anti-D series 4 or 5, Immucor is replacing rH control with a product called Monoclonal Control. I received a letter from the company dated Aug 29, 2012 stating which control to use with their different reagents. Gamma-clone reagents can use either Gamma-clone Control or Monoclonal Control.

The Echo has been running the Monoclonal Control with Anti-D series 4 and 5 for a long time, so the switch with manual testing should be no problem.

We are almost out of RH control and I'm still thinking whether we will switch to Monoclonal control. Since we are switching to Echo can we switch temporarily to 6% Albumin as Rh control? This will give me enough time to finish my validation study. We use Anti D series monoclonal.

• We are almost out of RH control and I'm still thinking whether we will switch to Monoclonal control. Since we are switching to Echo can we switch temporarily to 6% Albumin as Rh control? This will give me enough time to finish my validation study. We use Anti D series monoclonal.

Check your package insert for the Anti-D under 'Quality Control' and 'Interpretation of Results'. It depends on what's going on with the patient as to whether or not you need a control and what type of control is acceptable. If you are using Anti-D (Monoclonal Blend), a control is not required for routine testing. If you are getting questionable results with Anti-A and Anti-B, you have a number of options...Gammaclone Control, Monoclonal Control, patient serum/plasma or 7% albumin. If you have a patient with a previously known pos DAT or discover that your patient has a pos DAT, you have to use a control to help determine the Rh status of your patient. In the case of the pos DAT, the insert states that Gamma-clone Control or Monoclonal control are the most suitable choices because they are similar in formula to the anti-D reagent. Again, I would encourage you to read the package insert for a complete discussion of the use of controls.

If you still have questions, do not hesitate to call Immucor for technical assistance about the test method or contact the technical rep assigned to your facility. I've gotten good information from them about a number of things.

We manufacture a Monoclonal Control for our Anti-D reagents because the protein concentration is considerably higher than in ABO reagents, which are not usually controlled with a reagent containing all the other ingredients except the monoclonal antibody which is missing.

Therefore the correct results from ABO grouping should NOT be used as any indication for Rh testing as the composition of the reagents is quite different.