Alternate proficiency specimens other than CAP?

kate murphy

Are you subscribing Competancy sepcimen from CAP? In addition to regular CAP survey we also get TMCA(same as J survey but only three specimen), TMCAD(same DAT survey), TMCF(same as HBF with two specimen). You do not send the results to CAP but you get answers in mail for you to compare your lab. This way we are able to rotate PT among all our techs and are enough. You get specimens same time you get your regular survey so we are able to give competancy to two techs same time, one gets DAT and other one gets TMCAD.

We switched to API (I think it is American Proficiency Insitute?) this year. The savings was substantial over CAP, but it is a little hard getting used to. All surveys come in one shipment (DAT, Comprehensive, Elution, etc.) three times per year, and I don't like the way the reporting is done(our results or the final results), but the $$ won out and we will be staying with them.

We switched to API (I think it is American Proficiency Insitute?) this year. The savings was substantial over CAP, but it is a little hard getting used to. All surveys come in one shipment (DAT, Comprehensive, Elution, etc.) three times per year, and I don't like the way the reporting is done(our results or the final results), but the $$ won out and we will be staying with them.

We also use API (lost CAP 2 year ago now - same reason $$$$), but I am asking to switch back to CAP for the Automated Blood Bank survey - the API one is just not doing well on the ECHO, even though we are careful to run it as soon as it comes in as they tell you to do. The ABORHs have require "manual" interpretation on the survey several times now - and I hardly think that is the way your survey is supposd to be working. Wish we could change all of them back - when the whole survey comes at once and needs to be back to API so fast, it is difficult to manage and I have no idea what is going to happen to the whole thing if I happen to be on vacation when the survey comes!

Yes, Quotient does have a set of unknowns. They come as serum/plasma only, no cells, 20 in a set. If I remember correctly there are 15 positives and 5 negatives in the set. They have a long outdate, so you can spread the wealth throughout the year. I can't remember if the correct answers come with the set or if you go on line to get them. It's not terribly expensive. I recently ordered a set, waiting for it to come.

Kate -

I'm a couple of days behind reading my CAP Today but noticed the CAP ad about their Commpetency Assessment program (www.cap.gor/competency). It covers competency assessment, safety and compliance training, and continuing education credits. Don't know anything else about it, beyond what the ad said (and I don't trust ads on face value) but thought I'd point it out.

Jeanne

Our lab uses the CAP competency assessment program. Our assignments are in the form of online exams with follow-up information and reassessment related to the questions missed. I don't know if CAP has wet samples for competency assessment or not. The nice thing about the online exams is that as a supervisor you don't have to grade them, just assign them. You can set a minimum score, which will automatically reassign the material if a tech fails the first time. The administrator gets a report that spells out who has completed which exams, when they were completed and what their scores were. As Jeanne mentioned, you do get continuing ed credits for completed exercises.

In looking at the 2013 CAP survey catalog today, I found something called Expanded Transfusion Medicine Exercises ETME1 for determining the lab's ability to recognize and integrate problem solving skills. Is this new or did I miss it last year? Anybody know anything more about it than the catalog description?