Pre Medication

TVC15

OK here we go! I moved here from a state with very high standards across the board in blood banking. I moved to a state with the most unbelievable noncompliance issues that I have ever witnessed in my entire career. It is like a third world country here when it comes to standards and compliance.

I just discovered that our blood bank allows the blood bankers to indicate premedication for patients receiving transfusions. What the hell was my first reaction? This is completely against the law! We are not physicians nor are we in a position to tell any nurse to pre medicate a patient. The more I encounter in this state the more I just can't believe what I am encountering.

Have any of you ever heard of such a thing?

Yikes!

TVC15, I would ask what state you are in, but I understand if you would not like to disclose it!

Even if the Pathologist or MD in charge of BB approved it, I would question whether that decision can be delegated to a med tech, even with an approved policy in hand. Nurses yes, but a lab tech? Are we talking about Benedryl or something more potent from pharmacy?

Scott

I do not think Med. Tech can suggest to pre medicate patient. Our medical director enters comment in computer for the patient with history of re current febrile reaction. Even that says "recommend".....We can not practise medicine. If physician or resident calls BB to ask if they can pre medicate the patient, we can not answer...we usually transfer the call to medical director.

Believe me guys I know what the law is and I went to school and was trained at the number one most prestigious and largest Medical Centers in the world. I have worked at very high standard blood banks before moving here. I moved to CA 2.5 years ago and have been absolutely disturbed by the practices here. CLS here don't even know that they are required to follow the manufactures package inserts or that you need to read the user guide before operating any analyzer. I have seen so much that I just HATE being a blood banker in this state. I am so close to becoming a state inspector to try and turn this state around. It is criminal what I have seen here over the years.

I spoke to our Lab Director about this policy last week and let her know that it is against the law. Her response was that our Medical Director signed off of on that SOP so it all falls in her lap if anything goes wrong. I was dumbfounded but hey I'm in CA would I have expected anything other than that as a response? I mentioned it again yesterday and she tells me that she is going to tell the Medical Director that this is coming out of the SOP. IMO it should have been taken out as soon as I reported it to her. But hey I am in CA.

Thank you Joy...I sent you a private message about the Surveyor position in CA.

I was hired by a ref. lab last year to help straighten out the 37 COLA violations the lab had received. I was very impressed with how through COLA combed thorough that lab and found all that they did. I had never heard of COLA until I was hired as a CLIA consultant to help this lab. I would very much enjoy helping to raise the standards in CA to what they should be. :)

Thank you Joy...I sent you a private message about the Surveyor position in CA.

I was hired by a ref. lab last year to help straighten out the 37 COLA violations the lab had received. I was very impressed with how thoroughly COLA combed through that lab and found all that they did. I had never heard of COLA until I was hired as a CLIA consultant to help this lab. I would very much enjoy helping to raise the standards in CA to what they should be.