Back Up Plasma Thawer

Mary**

After our only plasma thawer failed yesterday and was out of order for the whole day, I think I need to consider purchasing a back up. Does anyone have a suggestion about one that is not too expensive and has a small profile?:bonk:

Thanks.

We also have a Helmer 8 slot and like it a lot. But... have you seen the new Genesis (Barkey) "Plasmatherm"? It looks to have a small footprint, thaws 4 units at a time, and the quote I received from Genesis is less than the new Helmer waterbath I was planning on buying. I just wish the product brochure gave estimated thaw times, because that is an important factor to consider.

We also have a Helmer 8 slot and like it a lot. But... have you seen the new Genesis (Barkey) "Plasmatherm"? It looks to have a small footprint, thaws 4 units at a time, and the quote I received from Genesis is less than the new Helmer waterbath I was planning on buying. I just wish the product brochure gave estimated thaw times, because that is an important factor to consider.

We trialled one of the Barkey's at our lab in the UK (supplied via Labcold in the UK). Not only was it the smallest footprint available that I could find on the UK market but it also did a very good job. Price wise it was comparible to most competitors and we were thawing 4 bags of UK size plasma (approx 230 mls per bag) in 18 minutes. We had no leakages during our trial and we were not dissapointed in the kit. I am looking to replace my thermogenesis plasma thawer which is 10 years old and the Barkey will be right up there for consideration.

Hope this helps

Dan

Agree, but tell that to the bean counters in the suits!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha Ha, so true. Luckily we have some folks at the top right now that seem to understand the importance of good equipment in the blood bank. We finally have equipment that isn't constantly needing repairs and tweaks. It only took me 5 years to convince them that I needed a platelet incubator, once I got that, they started upgrading a little every year. Hope I didn't just jinx myself!

• 2 weeks later...
I can't find the Cardinal thawer? Do you have a catalog number?

Hi Mary! The catalog number for the Cardinal thawer is CH-PT1000. This is the link to their laboratory products page. http://ecom.cardinalhealth.com/catalog/labpartner/index.html

When you click on the link, click on the search magnifying glass and type in plasma thawer. It will come up in the catalog and when you click it, it will get bigger so you can read the specs. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

First do not replace; repair and keep the old one as the backup once the new one comes in. Or as said above use them in parallel so both are QC'd and ready. Or if you are super lucky to get 2 new ones then keep the old one in its best shape and as a backup. Only let it go when it dies and the Medical Engineers declares it dead or says that the manufacturer stopped making spare parts or that the spare part is more expensive than a NEW thawer.

Other than that I would like to ask David where you got the microwave from. They used to be from Canada at 25,000$ the last time I checked. I have one for my next fiscal plan, your info is greatly appreciated as well as any advice you have.

Thank you.

We have both the Helmer thawer (for 4 units) and a microwave thawer.

The microwave is our primary thawer for plasma and thaws in about 5-6 minutes, the Helmer water bath is used as the primary thawer for cryo and as a backup for plasma.

WOW!!!!!

Can you tell me the brand and was it (the microwave) in the 25,000$ or 15,000$ range.

How long does the Helmer take to thaw 4 units?

and the big one to thaw 8 unit one? anyone?

Thanks Terri, I am getting more and more encouraged.

It is on our next fiscal year budget...but hehehe I budgeted it 25,000$

Is it the Canadian Ark?

Thank you

WOW!!!!!

Can you tell me the brand and was it (the microwave) in the 25,000$ or 15,000$ range.

How long does the Helmer take to thaw 4 units?

and the big one to thaw 8 unit one? anyone?

Thanks Terri, I am getting more and more encouraged.

It is on our next fiscal year budget...but hehehe I budgeted it 25,000$

Is it the Canadian Ark?

Thank you

It's made by ArkBiomedical, distributed by Tropitronics. Here's the website. A couple years ago when we bought it, it was somewhere around $12,000. And I do believe they also sell refurbished ones for a little cheaper.

http://www.plasmathaw.com/

Our Helmer went down for the day because one of the arms needed to be replaced. So we went through the whole lab to see if there was a backup waterbath we could use. Found one down in the morgue got it up and running and it kept a steady 37C temp. It is now out backup. I got some brownie points saving the lab a few thousand dollars.