Standalone Blood Bank Data Backup System - is there one?

We have Cerner and had IT Dept build an Access db that reads all new patient file updates (antibodies, blood types, comments, etc) from Cerner and adds them to the hard drive on a PC in Blood Bank (and a backup file on the network). It auto updates 4 times a day. When we have a computer outage, we can use this PC in local mode and inquiry on blood bank history. It works great. We check it once per month and never had a problem unless the PC itself fails. No paper although we use tons of paper in other areas.

We have Sunquest and an effective non-tree killing downtime data backup does not exist. Does anyone know of any freestanding programs that are functional?:confused:

Hi Cheryl. I had SQ at my previous hospital. We would run the backup reports each day, but instead of printing, would save on a shared drive on the PCs in the Blood Bank for downtime lookup. Worked great, and we saved lots of trees.

We have Sunquest and an effective non-tree killing downtime data backup does not exist. Does anyone know of any freestanding programs that are functional?:confused:
Hi Cheryl: I don't know if you are including a provision to print your ISBT128 labels in your down time request but if you have HemaTrax from Sunquest you may wish to consider having a disaster or downtime backup. Digi-Trax has a PC Stand-Alone version of HemaTrax available (www.digi-trax.com). You can also request information at info@digi-trax.com.

If you are served by Community Blood Center of Kansas City, they have a database for types and antibodies to which many area hospitals contribute. (They serve 70 hospitals, I don't know if all of them contribute.) I know this is not exactly what you are looking for, but we have found it to be very useful. They wrote and article on it in "Transfusion".

Thanks! We are currently downloading patient info from our 12 hospitals to standalone PC's every 6 hours so are not printing either. But we are looking for a different software if available as we have some challenges with our current system (like we would like it to be real time with no delays - maybe asking too much but Hemocare used to be able to do it...)

• 1 month later...
Hi Terri,

What is the process for sending the Sunquest reports to a PC intead of a printer?

Thanks

First you have to run BEX. Then go into the report (ex: BBR6, for printer enter 0, then go to the top of the screen, select start capture, designate a place to put it like on the PC desktop and give it a file name, then run the report, then select stop capture). You can run this as often as you want, and when you select the same file name and location, SQ will ask if you want to overwrite the previous report or append it. I used to just pick overwrite. You should probably do the same process on a second PC in case your PC died...or you could save it to some type of shared drive that all BB staff can get to.

• 8 months later...

Johnv, I know this was posted many months ago, but I wanted to ask a question.  We recently went live with Cerner and our IT dept. built the access file for the PTC Export.  The Ops job for it is running.  The problem is they are having trouble getting it to export automatically onto the standalone PC.  Does the first upload have to be done manually before it will automatically update or is there some trick to making the process automatic?