Suggestions for a reliable plasma freezer

medtechristy

We currently have an SP Thermo Electron Cryo Fridge brand Freezer and we have had nothing but problems with the alarm. Our weekly alarm checks are failing even after having parts replaced and wired messed with etc. etc. We have been doing manual temperature checks every 4 hours for FAR too long and need suggestions for a reliable replacement freezer.

Could anyone share pros/cons about the freezer you currently use? We store 20 O FFP, 20 A FFP, 10 B FFP, 12 AB FFP, and 8 Pooled Cryoprecipiate units in our freezers. We currently have one with 7 drawers.

Thanks for any advice/feedback anyone could offer!

We have 4 Helmer freezers. The charts function properly, alarms sound at appropriate times. The issues that we do have with the freezers are that they are in a small room with extreme heat and poor ventilation (Opening them to rotate stock can force them into defrost quickly). In the winter, the freezers are fine. Hope this helps!

In the mean time, until you get the new freezer, you can use an external chart recorder with a probe into your freezer to save yourselves the drudgery of taking temps every 4 hours. We got one for under $500, NIST certificate included. My ultralow freezer alarm also failed (REVCO - 2 thumbs down on that brand) and cannot be forced to work. A new freezer is not in the budget at this time. We ordered an external recorder with alarm and placed the probe into the big tub our tissues are stored in (keeps the probe from being inadvertantly bumped out of the freezer), verified it with a NIST traceable probe placed in the same place and the freezer's readout. If the freezer goes down or needs maintenance, the recorder/alarm can be moved along with the tissues and plasma to our sendout ultralowfreezer (Sanyo - we like it) for safe, monitored storage.

We have had one Helmer freezer and two Helmer fridges since 2009, all are the i-series. Our problems

1) Freezer had to have a new compressor put in.

2) Each take 6 D batteries (battery backup for the alarm in case of power failure), which can be a little touchy to change, they are on top and have to have at least a 3 or 4 step ladder to get to. Also after changing them you need to make sure to unplug the unit to test the alarm to see if the batteries are seated well. We have had to change out the battery case on one due to it failing.

I sent justification to our management on why i wanted helmer over other brands (GEM, REVCO, THERMOFISHER). I did not consider Sanyo at all. After our validation was completed, one technician from our bio-med recommended Norlake.

i do not get their in put in buying bb equipment except checking for voltage, amps & specs(to make sure it will go through my door).

So far I had good luck in purchasinh Helmer products.

they are little expensive but they do have certain enhancements which I use in my justification(eg. 2 probes, automatic alarm activation etc.)

Then keep the phone number of your service people for freezers close by. Our Maintenance and Biomed folks don't actually fix the freezer, just tell us its broke, like we didn't know. Mine is less than 5 years old and has numerous visits from the Carrier people here.