Auto Control

jerriemc

How many of you currently perform auto controls on all patients? We currently do and are looking at eliminating them on patients with negative antibody screens. Just curious what everyone else is doing? Thanks in advance for you input.

I don't recall the specific reference but if you were to do a reference search in TRANSFUSION you wil come up with a number of papers concerning dropping the Auto Control. The one I'm thinking of specifically was researched and written by the folks at the University of Michigan, John Judd et al. It's the one I referenced when we dropped the auto control about 15 years ago. It was the first step that started us down that long slippery slope ending in electronic crossmatches. :excited:

Currently: We do an auto control with antibody ID only (manual gel or PeG tube).

We will be automating to solid phase (TANGO) in the next few weeks. We will use PeG tube as our secondary/backup method. TANGO panels do not have an auto control. BioRad said we can "run a direct coombs". I always felt an auto control should be run under the same conditions as your test cells. We decided we will not routinely run a DAT with TANGO panels. If, however, we detect a new antibody in a recently transfused patient or if all panel cells are positive we will perform a DAT.

• 2 weeks later...