antibody work up records

pbaker

I know that standards require records of clinically significant antibodies to be maintained indefinitely. If our computer has a record of all antibodies and any other discrepancies, is it necessary to keep the folder with the actual workup? We pull them from our current drawer if we have not seen the patient for 2 years and have been having the workup scanned to a CD. Is this required or is the computer record sufficient?

According to TJC, worksheets from which conclusions are drawn must be kept 2 years. Thes antigrams are considered worksheets and do not need to be kept--however, the last place I worked as a manager, we did exactly as you--scanned it for future reference. (Saved on hospital network with 3 level back-up).

Sometimes it is nice to see how something reacted in the past so I am happy to keep them a long time and only discard those that the patients are deceased. We aren't that big so have no storage issues.

I also have found it useful to go back to the previous sheets to see the reactions.

I concur with most folks here. We keep our panel sheets in three ring binders in alphabetical order. That way, someone's entire AB history with us is all together, and we can quickly review reaction strengths, etc.

Deceased patient records are stored off site. I do not know how long we keep them.