Platelet coolers and temperature assurance

Kathy

What are you using for platelet storage outside your blood banks? I need something that will hold room temp in a cold (17 degree C) OR. I tried soft-sided lunch box type coolers with a bunch of gel packs, but only got 3 1/2 hours out of them. I would like something that is relatively compact and is not red or blue (ie. they need to look much different from our red cell coolers). I am looking into Greenbox...great solution, if only it had a handle. I was looking for something that is more like a cooler.

I would also know how you ensure that the temperature of platelets did not deviate from 20-24 while outside your blood bank. I am looking into LogTag which is basically a temperature datalogger that you can program to flash a red light if it deviates from the temperature you set. You can download the temperature data to a pc. I don't know if this is overkill though...

Edited by Kathy

Ok, I'll answer my own question. I am going to use a hard-sided cooler meant for specimen transport. With any luck, it will work with a bunch of ambient temperature gel packs.

For temperature monitoring, I found some temperature indicators with LCD displays...you can have them programmed to alarm at whatever temps you want (up to different 4 temps) for whatever temperature excursion time you want (I could have them programmed to trigger the 'alarm' after 15 minutes of being above 24 degrees or below 20 degrees, for example). They show a check mark if they haven't gone outside temp or an X if they have gone outside temp. Seem really easy to use. The downside is that they are meant to be disposable and cost $10 each. However, according to the manufacturer, they have a several year battery life and can be reused as long as the 'alarm' hasn't been triggered.

Those indicators sound really good, except for the "disposable" part. I wonder why someone has not created indicators like this that we could re-use over and over, that are good for a certified amount of time (like a year or two). They would be perfect for coolers and transport containers. C'mon manufacturers! This is what we need! You would sell truckloads of those things!

There are an awful lot of data loggers out there these days. Wouldn't be surprised if they have what you want. The ones I have used that they consider disposable last a year or so but the batteries can't be replaced. You had to download them to a PC rather than them having a readout.

Try Minnesota Thermal (http://www.mnthermalscience.com/) for platelet transport/storage containers. Their Credo systems will really hold temps (different ones for blood and platelets - they even have ones for FFP transport). They have a link to a datalogger vendor too (http://www.global-sensors.com/), but you can get there directly. I have used their datalogers to validate my coolers and platelet transport for some time. They have turned out to be "disposable" also (the batteries can not be changed), but they have lasted quite a while. These download to a PC, but the sites has so many options, you might find something else.

I have used these systems since we had to go to the FDA mandated (1-6C) "storage" in the hospital and have never had any problems at all. The platelet transport is used to move products to our cancer center which is in a different building - it has also been very stable for up to 6 hours.

I have not seen a platelet "out of temp" sensor/indicator either - good luck on your search. Let us know if what you are trying now answers your needs or is too sensitive to the case just being opened.

If I use the Q-Tag (Berlinger), which is meant to be disposable, and attach it to a durable tag, I would be able to attach that tag to platelet units and reuse the indicators as long as they come back to me and they have not gone out of range. They don't start recording data until you push the "start" button and you can set them to have a startup delay so they don't start recording until a certain amount of time has passed since you pressed the 'start' button. I think it's worth a shot. I also found ThermoAlert (Sensitech), so it does look like there are manufacturers out there. The trick is keeping this whole operation cost-effective. I was told that they would not be able to manufacture a device like Safe-T-Vue for platelets since the temperature range is so narrow.

Edited by Kathy

The food industry uses data loggers like this for moving perishables--think caviar and lobster tails. Some want to know what time zone you started in and where it arrived. There are tons of data logger manufacturers but not all lend themselves to our needs so well.

So how many of you guys actually use dataloggers or temperature indicators for your platelets? I am stuck between a rock and a hard place: ensuring the quality of platelets and cost reduction (I have been ordered to cut $1700 per month in spending for my department). Plus, this fall will be my first inspection as a supervisor. If there is something I know about that I could fix before inspection, I want to do it.

Try Minnesota Thermal..... I have used their datalogers to validate my coolers and platelet transport for some time. They have turned out to be "disposable" also (the batteries can not be changed), but they have lasted quite a while. These download to a PC, but the sites has so many options, you might find something else..... I have used these systems since we had to go to the FDA mandated (1-6C) "storage" in the hospital and have never had any problems at all. QUOTE]

I use the Credo system for coolers also. Wonderful. I also got the sensors from GLobal.... But Frankly it comes with a 170 page manual which I have been given no time to read.... What is the quick and legal way to validate and set up these Loggers...... Still sitting in a drawer for lack of 'administrative' time to figure it all out (me not being computer handy is a handicap I know).

We use an Igloo cooler with 2 gel packs below the product, 1 above with a 4" piece of foam on top of that. Also included is a digital thermometer, the readings of which are recorded when the product is issued and again when products are removed fom the cooler. This 'transport' log is returned with the cooler and reviewed. Seems to work well for us.

Ditto ... except using 1 gel pack on bottom and 1 gel pack on top (small cooler, blue and white to signify 'room temperature storage') and no styrofoam.

We use an Igloo cooler with 2 gel packs below the product, 1 above with a 4" piece of foam on top of that. Also included is a digital thermometer, the readings of which are recorded when the product is issued and again when products are removed fom the cooler. This 'transport' log is returned with the cooler and reviewed. Seems to work well for us.