Platelet pH Testing

Thank goodness, all of our platelets are in 5-packs from our supplier, pooled in some magic aseptic way that does not require us to do any type of testing here such as pH.

In the old days, when we had to pool individual units, we simply used pH paper (and also had to document QC for the paper every day of use by using a standard). If the pH was above something like 6.0, it was OK to pool and transfuse. But check current AABB and FDA regs!

Scott

• 3 months later...

At one hospital that I work, we used the blood gas analyzer, but the down side to this was that it took approx 5 mins for unit of platelets being tested. At the other hospital I work, we "used" a mini Lab pH meter. But now our platelets come from our supplier already pooled and pH tested. This was a way to reduce the bacterial contamination. Boy am I happy!!!!!

Transfusion Services that do not collect platelets themselves, can no longer use pH/glucose, but must use a method of equal or better sensitivity then culture-based methods for Bacterial Testing of platelets. Currently this rule applies to Random Donor Platelets. Apheresis platelets are already tested at the blood collection center and currently do not require re-testing at the hospital prior to transfusion. Visual inspection must pass prior to issuing product.