reaction for using blood other than transfusion

nsfirm

is it supposed to be reported to the blood transfusion committee?

just got two different research proposals to use the blood bag for topical treatment of the eye ball and for burns.

one of the patients got swelling around the place the blood was put. is it supposed to be reported as blood transfusion reaction to the blood transfusion committee?

thanks

nova

Whenever you use aproduct like this for off-label usage, the BB Medical Director should approve it. He/she should determine if this is a reaction to be reported. It is definitely not a transfusion reaction in the classic sense of the word. i would report it to the committee just so they know that products are being used in a creative manner.

• 2 weeks later...

indonesia,

just wondering because I read that in some place, blood component (FFP) used as an eye drop, and I also read that buffy coat can improve the burn healing if put topically.

so, there is still a problem of reaction after that kind of usage. is it part of the blood transfusion reaction report that was asked as part of hemovigillance survey, or not (since it's not transfused).

Monitoring of blood utilization states you need to have a peer-review program that monitors and addresses transfusion reactions for all categories of blood and blood components including infectious and noninfectious adverse events, appropriateness of use, etc.---it does not differentiate between products that are "transfused" vs. "applied". You also need to have all the appropriate traceability and trackability, consent, etc. There are case reports of infectious disease transmission identified through Lookback protocols assoicated with these types of "applications", including HIV.

Monitoring of blood utilization states you need to have a peer-review program that monitors and addresses transfusion reactions for all categories of blood and blood components including infectious and noninfectious adverse events, appropriateness of use, etc.---it does not differentiate between products that are "transfused" vs. "applied". You also need to have all the appropriate traceability and trackability, consent, etc. There are case reports of infectious disease transmission identified through Lookback protocols assoicated with these types of "applications", including HIV.

In America . . .

I would not consider these to be transfusion reactions BUT I would keep records to see recurrences/MDs who use these/unusual situations, etc.. This could be reported at Utilization Review board meetings.

how about nationally, do you give report nationally?

thank you.... I was asked about that, and the report from the journal is a kind of promising. the eye is getting better, and the burn heals fast. but I haven't read the report of reaction. there is a doctor who said that after the xth application, there are blisters around the place of application. the doctor said that it might happen because of the minimal hygiene, not because of the blood. and it didn't happen again after that.

how about nationally, do you give report nationally?

No, the only national reporting system is for transfusion associated deaths. We are in the process of setting up a monitoring system regionally which may eventually have national ramifications.