r-set

webersl

Is there a mfg that makes just the "r-set" portion of the panel? That is, an antibody screen that represents the antigens of all common clinically significant antibodies, plus those required by FDA, but is negative for D. It can be used when the administration of Rh Immune Globulin is interfering with the antibody screen, instead of going to a full panel (or having to selecting certain cells from a panel). I don't want to waste the time and reagents doing a full panel, and I don't want to ruin my panel by using up cells 5, 6, 7, for example.

We have such a product in Australia which is widely used when there is evidence of recent administration of RhD Immune Globulin. One such product is manufactured by CSL and is called 'RhD Negative Screening Cells' and contains the three screening cells as you have outlined above. Sorry - I guess that's not much help to you in the USA!

Yes, we see a lot of passively acquired anti-D from Rh Immune Globulin administration. Half of our specimens come from Obstetrics. They get Rhogam at 28 weeks, then they come back to deliver (or earlier with bleeding, etc.). We use gel, so we do see a lot of "D due to Rhogam". We also get a lot of immigrants, so we also (less commonly) see an allo-anti-D as well.

It helped us a lot when we quit doing antibody screens as a part of postnatal RhIG workups. If the results of the test won't change the action taken, there is no point in doing the test. That said, you can't skip the screen for possible transfusions so you can't miss the passive anti-D's completely.

It helped us a lot when we quit doing antibody screens as a part of postnatal RhIG workups. If the results of the test won't change the action taken, there is no point in doing the test.

Excellent point, Mabel.

• 7 years later...

Apologies for not replying to this very old post.  I just discovered it.

Quotient makes a reagent red cell product that is very similar to the r-set that Gamma made many, many years ago.  The product is Expanded Rh Negative Antibody Screen product code # Z464U .  It is composed of 3 Rh negative cells that form a robust antibody screen (except for D) and a 4th cell that is an Ro to confirm the passive Anti-D from the Rh Immune Globulin.  Package inserts and antigen profiles are available and can be downloaded from Quotient's website, no special access codes required.

https://quotientbd.com/us/products/alba-by-quotient/red-blood-cells/