Serological Centrifuge recommendations - US

yiams

Blood Bankers,

I've started considering replacement of our three aging Immufuge II centrifuges. I've looked at a couple of supplier catalogs and I did not find much that excited me (obviously I don't get out much ;-) ) or would fit in our limited area.

These would be used on a benchtop for tube ABORh and any other manual tests requiring tube tech.

What would you recommend as a replacement for these three work horses? We need something about the same size and they need to be available in the US.

Thanks for your input any hints are appreciated.

We are using two of the Hettich EBA 21. They have a fairly small footprint. They've been dependable and they are quiet.

And they are fast! We installed 3 of them during my last 2 years at the previous employer. Never had any trouble with them. The staff couldn't decide which they liked better the quiet or the speed they performed at.

:juggle:

We just recently got a StatSpin Express 3 which is super quiet and fast as well. It's so quiet in fact that at first there was a rumor circulating that it doesn't need to be balanced.

Blood Bankers,

I've started considering replacement of our three aging Immufuge II centrifuges. I've looked at a couple of supplier catalogs and I did not find much that excited me (obviously I don't get out much ;-) ) or would fit in our limited area.

These would be used on a benchtop for tube ABORh and any other manual tests requiring tube tech.

What would you recommend as a replacement for these three work horses? We need something about the same size and they need to be available in the US.

Thanks for your input any hints are appreciated.

Helmer Inc sells the Hettich EBA 21 centrifuges in the states and they are really nice for Blood Bank work and, with a different head (they have several to choose from), they work well for specimen spin down too. Very quiet and durable and easily programmable. Check the web site and give them a call.

• 1 month later...

[TABLE=align: left]

[TR]

[TD]SeroSpin®-FA[/TD]

[TD]Serology, Typing, Crossmatching, Manual cell washing[/TD]

[TD]12ea 10/12 x 75mm tubes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SeroSpin®-SO[/TD]

[TD]Serology, Coagulation, Typing, Crossmatching[/TD]

[TD]12ea 10/12/13 x 75mm tubes[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is what I see on the Helmer website. Are either of these the EBA 21 or have they changed?

[TABLE=align: left]

[TR]

[TD]SeroSpin®-FA

[/TD]

[TD]Serology, Typing, Crossmatching, Manual cell washing

[/TD]

[TD]12ea 10/12 x 75mm tubes

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SeroSpin®-SO

[/TD]

[TD]Serology, Coagulation, Typing, Crossmatching

[/TD]

[TD]12ea 10/12/13 x 75mm tubes

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is what I see on the Helmer website. Are either of these the EBA 21 or have they changed?

Look under Product - USA/ Canada - Centrifuge - that will give you the EBA 21 centrifuge. I think these (in the quote) refer to the different heads available for the centrifuge, which you buy separately (sp??). FA refers to Fixed Angle - the tubes don't move - and SO refers to Swing out - the tubes move to true horizontal - good for Coag.

I need something to use for manual washing for adsorptions and eluates. Am I correct to assume that SO is what we would want?

The Helmer Ultra CW just doesn't work for that --- great for washing cell buttons for AHG testing but not for packing larger cell volumes ---- so I'm thinking the EBA 21 could be the solution we need.

I need something to use for manual washing for adsorptions and eluates. Am I correct to assume that SO is what we would want?

The Helmer Ultra CW just doesn't work for that --- great for washing cell buttons for AHG testing but not for packing larger cell volumes ---- so I'm thinking the EBA 21 could be the solution we need.

We use the FA head (1118-01) for our normal serological head and another type of FA head (1416) for larger tubes for our specimen spin downs - in separate centrifuges. I think you would be happy with the head 1118-01 for your regular serological work and for any eluate and adsorption washings - as long as the work is in a 12X75 tube. Larger tubes would have to go in a FA (1416) head. The Swing out heads are for if you require a flat interface on the top of your tube - such as Coag or gel tubes - neither of which we do, but our Heme dept has the SO head 1126 that they are happy with for coag tubes. Hope this helps - call Helmer for more info.

The EBA 21 is what I use for everyting. It works great for both absorptions and elutions. One feature I particularly like is that you can set the braking of the centrifuge to suit what your are doing. I have ours set with a pretty quick stop for routine things, but have a slow stop set up to use for REST and autoadsorptions so I don't 'fluff' my cell buttons and lose stroma and cells.