expiration dates for syringe aliquots

BBKT

In perusing the 17th ed. AABB Technical Manual, (page 283) it says:

"If a serile connecting device is used to prepare the aliquot, the expiration date is dependent on the storage container used for the aliquot. Cellular compnents stored in syringes have an expiration of 4 hours, but if stored in an FDA-approved transfer bag, the expiration remains the same as that of the mother unit".

I've contacted a few other labs that prepare neonatal syringe aliquots and we are all still using a 24 hour expiration date for rbc aliquots and a 4 hour expiration date for plt aliquots. This is the recommnedation from the product insert from the syringe manufacturer used. I'm curious to know what other facilities are assigning for syringe aliquots made using a sterile connection device.

I work at children's transfusion service, if aliquot is made by syringes the expiration is 4 hours. If we split the RBC in transfer bag then expiration remains the same as that of the mother unit. Any product aliquoted in syringe out-dates in 4 hrs.

We use the sterile connection device. All of our syringes expire 4 hours from preparation. Bag aliquots of red cells and plasma retain the outdate of the original parent unit, and platelet aliquots are good for 4 hours from preparation.

This is from our syringe insert from Charter Medical: "Transfuse platelet aliquots within 4 hours from time of aliquot preparation. Transfuse other blood components according to current AABB guidelines or internal standards (DO NOT exceed 24 hours storage)."

"If a serile connecting device is used to prepare the aliquot, the expiration date is dependent on the storage container used for the aliquot. Cellular compnents stored in syringes have an expiration of 4 hours, but if stored in an FDA-approved transfer bag, the expiration remains the same as that of the mother unit".

I've contacted a few other labs that prepare neonatal syringe aliquots and we are all still using a 24 hour expiration date for rbc aliquots and a 4 hour expiration date for plt aliquots. This is the recommnedation from the product insert from the syringe manufacturer used. I'm curious to know what other facilities are assigning for syringe aliquots made using a sterile connection device.

If the unit is aliquoted into a syringe irregardless of whether it was sterile docked, the outdate is 4 hours because it it technically now an open product and no longer part of the mother unit. If there are aliquot bags docked to the mother unit and the blood is aliquoted into them, then those bags maintain the outdate of the mother unit until they are opened. Once the bag is entered, the outdate then changes to 24 hours.

All,

Thank you for the ongoing discussion of syringe aliquot outdates and for calling attention to generalizations of the AABB Technical Manual. As a representative of Charter Medical as well as a meticulous blood banker myself, I have discussed this issue with AABB Accreditation on behalf of our many customers. Posters in the thread have indicated that they refer to manufacturer's instructions as the recommendation in the abscence of a documented syringe storage standard from AABB, and per my discussions as well as Standards, that is appropriate. Charter Medical recommends open system dating for products when they are placed into a syringe, even if the syringe was filled via sterile connection processes. Open system storage for red cells, whole blood and plasma is 24 hours when stored at the appropriate temperatures (as opposed to 4 hours for platelets). My contact information is included below and any who wish to have further discussion on this issue are invited to inbox me directly. Charter Medical appreciates the support of our user group and I look forward to working with you all for years to come.

Kind regards,

Christie

We expire syringes after 4hrs, and satellite bags for RBC maintain the same exp as the mother unit

I follow Manuf. & AABB standard....use sterile connecting device to connect syringe---platelete expire in 4 hrs, RBC in 24 hrs.....

If I get cited.....I will use the phrase "Technical manual is not AABB standard", as long as I meet standard requirement I am OK.

I am OK until manuf. changes the direction and make it 4 hrs(for RBC) based on technical manual!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Please tell me why, if I use my sterile connection device to attach the syringe/filter set, I have breached the sterility of the syringe, but not the original red cell unit.  It seems to me that if you breach sterility, the entire system is compromised.