issuing platelets

suhu

May platelet pools be issued if taken directly out of a supplier's shipping box, or do they need to be rotated for a period of time? If so, how long?

We receive platelet pools that may have been packed up the afternoon before we receive them. Should we require them to rotate for some amount of time before being acceptable for issue, or are they good as long as they swirl?

There is a set resting period immediately after collection, and a set requirement to Store on a rotator, but no requirement that they be rotated some amt of time before issue. I always wondered though, why it's ok for platelets to sit unrotated in a box thats packed up for transport, but not ok if they were out on the counter for the same amount of time. Although I probably shouldnt bring it up!

There is a set resting period immediately after collection, and a set requirement to Store on a rotator, but no requirement that they be rotated some amt of time before issue. I always wondered though, why it's ok for platelets to sit unrotated in a box thats packed up for transport, but not ok if they were out on the counter for the same amount of time. Although I probably shouldnt bring it up!

If you don't bring it up, who is going to give you the answer????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, it isn't going to be me, because I don't know the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote=Malcolm Needs;43626]If you don't bring it up, who is going to give you the answer????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/QUOTE]

Im terribly afraid the answer will be from a regulatory agency that says "We'll be sure to address that in the next issue of standards" and then I'd be marked for death by anyone in the real world who has to ship or receive products.

:(

We require platelets to be on the rotator for 15 minutes after bringing them into inventory before we issue them but I'm not sure where that requirement originated from.

May platelet pools be issued if taken directly out of a supplier's shipping box, or do they need to be rotated for a period of time? If so, how long?

We receive platelet pools that may have been packed up the afternoon before we receive them. Should we require them to rotate for some amount of time before being acceptable for issue, or are they good as long as they swirl?

Blood Banking and Transfusion Medicine, 2nd Ed. by Hillyer, et al : " In the late 1970's, it was found that platelets stored with gentle agitation maintained better morphology and in vitro functionality than platelets undisturbed." But then it goes on to say in the same paragraph "Agitation is also associated with discharge of cytosolic lactate dehydrogenase, suggesting that some degree of platelet lysis occurs during agitation."

The 'feel good thing' is why we put them on the rotator for 15 min before we issue, but I've never seen anything in writing that requires it. In reality, if we plop them on the rotator immediately after they arrive, then do the necessary paperwork for tagging and issuing, 15 minutes has elapsed, so it doesn't really slow us down. Even for extremely urgent cases, it does take a few minutes to be ready for issue and get someone from nursing service down to collect the unit.

Exactly how we do it.

The 'feel good thing' is why we put them on the rotator for 15 min before we issue, but I've never seen anything in writing that requires it. In reality, if we plop them on the rotator immediately after they arrive, then do the necessary paperwork for tagging and issuing, 15 minutes has elapsed, so it doesn't really slow us down. Even for extremely urgent cases, it does take a few minutes to be ready for issue and get someone from nursing service down to collect the unit.