Trm.40875

bldbnkr

"The development of policies......etc....recipient consent for transfusion/transplantation."

My question here is that tendon allografts are implanted by the orthopedic surgeons, in fact they are stored in my blood bank freezer.

Would an inspector consider this allograft a transplant and would the blood bank medical director be responsible for overseeing the consent form for this?

Our medical director is interpreting the question as blood be a "liquid transplant", so she says no. I am thinking that perhaps it is something that an inspector might look at.

What do others think?

Does your Transfusion Committee oversee these transplant procedures? If so, then the MD assigned as Director of Transplantation would be responsible to see that consents are correct. These have been JC issues for several years so someone may have already addressed the isuue.

Informed consent is required for tissue transplantation as it is for blood transfusion and stem cell tranplants and the admitting doctor is in charge of this. Definitely it is a TJC requirment and may already be covered. No need for the BB Med Dir to sign after the admitting physician or his/her MD-designee (fellow/resident) has signed that s/he did the required.