Terumo "Trucise" System Users - alittle help please!

sgoertzen

We are in the process of installing the Terumo Trucise system for our sterile connecting devices (TSCDs). I am hoping that some of you are expert users of this system and can offer some advice on how we might be able to build our system to capture the required "second check" of the labeling affixed to the aliquot bag we are welding to the original container (AABB Std. 5.1.6.3.1-5 &6). I know some folks have computer systems where the "label verify" is actually built into the aliquot/modify/pool routines, but unfortunately ours does not offer that feature (Meditech). I've reqested that Meditech add this as a customer defined option to these routines, but as far as I know, they haven't taken any action on this enhancement request.

I'm hoping to completely eliminate writing anything down on a paper log, so we need to figure out a way to somehow document that second check within the Trucise system or "somewhere else" in Meditech. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Presently we use Cerner Millennium which has the Label Verify option. However what we did prior to this(infact we still do it to eliminate errors) we had an MT, other than the one who prepared the product, to perform a second check then dispense. If a Tech crossmatch, aliquot, thaw, irradiate or otherwise modifies a product, he has to get another Tech to do a double check and dispense the product.

• 9 months later...

I don't want to hijack your thread, but we have a new Trucise system and it looks like you have had it for a while so you have the bugs worked out of your process. How do you deal with syringes or aliquot bags that don't have barcoded lot numbers and expiration dates? I think I will have to find a barcode making device and make barcode lot numbers for them.

Actually, we are STILL in the process of trying to get the Trucise system all built and validated. It apparently was not created to do a label verify comparison of all 4 quadrants of the ISBT label (as the folks at Terumo originally promised it could), so we are still working with them to create workarounds to get it to do at least the donor number and ABO/Rh. We're still having issues with the product code and expiration date/time. In preparation for using the Trucise, we switched to ordering and using only supplies (bags and syringes) that have barcoded lot numbers. We were using CharterMed which has no barcodes and switched to Fenwall that does have barcodes. The other option would be to print your own little barcodes and attach them to each set or box so you have something to scan.

"I know some folks have computer systems where the "label verify" is actually built into the aliquot/modify/pool routines, but unfortunately ours does not offer that feature (Meditech)."

Could you create a CDS and add it to the final product as a Unit Screen? When you make the component you would have to answer it as a query.

Are you printing the ISBT label before you actually split the unit so that you can do the label verify? Right now I am just setting it up to capture the Tech, unit number, lot number of transfer bag, expiration of transfer bag, and the acceptance of the weld. I wanted to also have the blood type of the unit, but it doesn't translate directly on the report. I did end up making my own barcode labels for lot number and expiration.

One thing I don't like is the inability to barcode username/password. I am not terribly worried about someone who doesn't work in the blood bank coming in and using the device. I would rather not even have the username and password, but since it has to be there I would prefer to streamline the process with a barcode entry.