30 minutes for return blood and blood products

AMER

We did away with 30 minutes, it is really not acceptable anymore. We take the temperature and appearance for reissue. We do use safe t vues for units that are stored in refrigerators outside Blood Bank. For platelets were do visual appearance of swirling. We did put a 30 min. limit on return time, I figure the longer they have it the more things could happen to it, but just because they return it within 30 does not mean it is acceptable for reissue. We actually just rewrote this procedure.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just rewrote our procedure similar to Meg's. Temperature and appearance will determine acceptability for return to inventory and future re-issue. We also have no mention of the 30 minute rule. Now, however, I am struggling with the "start transfusion within 30 minute" rule in our clinical policy. For safety sake I like the rule; like stated in another post, I do not like the idea of units being issued and sitting around somewhere. But what if 35 minutes have passed and they plan on running the unit over 3 hours only? Does anyone else state a start transfusion time frame in their blood administration clinical policy?

I just rewrote our procedure similar to Meg's. Temperature and appearance will determine acceptability for return to inventory and future re-issue. We also have no mention of the 30 minute rule. Now, however, I am struggling with the "start transfusion within 30 minute" rule in our clinical policy. For safety sake I like the rule; like stated in another post, I do not like the idea of units being issued and sitting around somewhere. But what if 35 minutes have passed and they plan on running the unit over 3 hours only? Does anyone else state a start transfusion time frame in their blood administration clinical policy?

We used to, but we removed it. Now it says the unit has to be completed within 4 hours from time of issue from the Blood Bank.

we did a validation last week with some expired AB+/AB= rbc units and we found that in our blood bank, [Temp 72F], all 4 of these units warmed upto 6C within 15 min, and 7-9 at 20 min. This was confirmed by a hemotemp sticker on unit and with wrapping unit around immersion bottle from portable cooler alarm. We did 1 unit everyother day for 1 week. We are changing our policy and procedure so we don't get hit at our next CAP inspection.