Calculating Expiry Dates

khalidm3

If collection date is Jan 16: 35d out dat is 2/20; 42d outdate is 2/27.

Thanks Liz and David

Correct Liz and David, as u calculate the collection day is Day zero one day will be complete next day, so we start count from 17 and 42 days falls on 2/27.

We had a visitor last week and he objected our count. He started count from 16 Jan (Collection Date) and told platelet (5 days) shall expire on 20 Jan, whereas I said 21 Jan. I did not find it in the books. Do u have a reference?

I don't know if these exist anymore, but one of the companies used to hand out calendars that listed the exp. date of each of the different anticoagulants, in a different color in the space for a given date (i.e. looks like a regular calendar; in square with today's date, it would have in small print in a corner, 2-3 other dates listed which represented the expiration of RBCs drawn today, based on the type of anticoagulant used; a legend would define that for you). Wish I could recall the company, but perhaps someone else out there knows? Maybe someone that works at a Donor Facility that makes components?

Brenda Hutson, MT(ASCP)SBB

• 4 weeks later...