Professor Patrick Loudon Mollison.

Malcolm Needs

Thanks for the info, Malcolm. I had checked the internet a couple times recently, but could not find any obituary (other than the brief announcement of his death.)

I was very excited when I briefly met Professor Mollison when he came to St. Louis and gave a lecture in the mid 1970's. Such an important scientist in the advancement of our profession.

RIP.

I'm in my early sixties and, although I never had the honor of meeting Professor Mollison, I have heard and sometimes spoke with Peter Issitt, John Case, George Garrity, Lawrence Marsh, John Moulds and others. We are, unfortunately, at the end of the golden age of exploration in our profession. The blood groups are well described (down to a molecular level), component therapy has been well established for decades and infectious complications of transfusion are minimal. That is not to say that there are not exciting areas of exploration, cellular and gene therapies for one, left for us, nor is there a lack of cutting edge researchers (and speakers!) in our profession, but the groundwork has been laid by the brilliance and dogged perserverance of these pioneers. It is unfortunate, but inevitable, that we must bid them farewell and salute their achievements.

I agree with Dr. Pepper's comments. Those of us who are around that age group came into the field in a very exciting time of new discoveries, changes, and improvements, and often had the opportunities to meet or hear those individuals who were directly involved with those discoveries. I have been lots of things, but I have never been bored working in this profession!!

Donna