frequency of unit inspection

Mabel Adams

Back when, all the regulators required daily inspection of blood products to be performed and documented. Now I see that AABB says it should be done "at facility-defined stages" and I can find no specific requirement by FDA or CLIA. TJC says "inspects stored or issued blood or blood components for evidence of hemolysis and bacterial contamination." So is everyone still doing daily inspections and if not, how often are you doing them? Or if I am missing a reg requiring daily inspection, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your post, John. Daily inspection was one of the "rules" that I always found totally useless. If you have a large inventory, you're unlikely to inspect closely enough to find anything. Inspection at issue is another thing altogether. I remember refusing to issue RBCs that didn't look "right" and confirmed bacterial contamination.

I agree with Mabel

check daily to see if bag groups not mixed up and also in expiry date order

check visually each bag on receipt and when issuing but not at other times

We actually visually check daily at the same time we are checking that the groups are not mixed up and in expiry date order.

We do not have a large inventory so this is not a problem for us.