About American red Cross's new Blood Bank software

Hi all,

Long time viewer, first time poster, I work in the blood bank sector and I internally got word of a new software the American Red Cross is about to go live with, the software is called eProgesa and is developped in JAVA and is web based, my question is two fold:

- Does anyone know of this program? If not, how come American Red Cross chose them over any other software?

- What does this mean for hospitals getting their blood from the American Red Cross? Is there any benefit for these hospitals to look into getting a blood transfusion software that would be modular with eProgesa to streamline the vein to vein process? (ie: stock and inventory control)

Any feedback much appreciated!

~W

• 3 months later...

William,

I am a first time poster too.

United Blood Services is also Progesa/eProgesa user, as are the Australian Red Cross and New Zealand. You can learn more about MAK (the authors of Progesa) at http://www.mak-system.net. I am pretty sure they have a Tx module that integrates with the BECS.

We are working on a web-based system to help hospitals order blood, track inventory, report on turn-around and fill rates. I'd be interested in the group's feedback on features you would like to see.

If this is not an appropriate request, I apologize in advance. Let me know and I will edit.

William,

We are working on a web-based system to help hospitals order blood, track inventory, report on turn-around and fill rates. I'd be interested in the group's feedback on features you would like to see.

Welcome Michael,

This would be advertising, and we do not allow advertising in the forums.

Anyone interested in contacting Michael can do so by private message, or they can start a new post in the Vendor Section of the forums (we allow vendors to talk about their products there).

Thank you

• 2 months later...

I'm not aware of any software that currently has a viable link to hospital customer inventory. Some development work has been done in this area and I would look at transfusionmedicinerfid.org to see some of the best work in this area.

Companies are still a few years away from having fully developed connections between blood centers and their hospitals. Ultimately any solution will have to work across platforms since a blood center cannot dictate to their entire customer base what software will be used.

Mak is used by a number of large, national blood center operations. One can speculate what that means in terms of usability. I know that the ARC has been many years in implementing their system. It may be more of a demonstration of what companies are willing to take on such an enormous task such as the ARC.

I'm not aware of any software that currently has a viable link to hospital customer inventory. Some development work has been done in this area and I would look at transfusionmedicinerfid.org to see some of the best work in this area.

Companies are still a few years away from having fully developed connections between blood centers and their hospitals. Ultimately any solution will have to work across platforms since a blood center cannot dictate to their entire customer base what software will be used.

Mak is used by a number of large, national blood center operations. One can speculate what that means in terms of usability. I know that the ARC has been many years in implementing their system. It may be more of a demonstration of what companies are willing to take on such an enormous task such as the ARC.

I've used Progesa both on the hospital and donor side in Canada a couple years back. There can be full integration of the 2. Not my favorite software but it works ok. I did see a demo of their newer version which appeared to be improved.