Vendors that supply gel products in US?

Gen BB

Considering adopting gel methodology in our low-volume hospital Blood Bank, to be more efficient and standardized when generalist works solo in lab, responsible for all testing. Are there any other vendors in US, other than J+J (Ortho) that you can purchase gel products from?

My Bio Rad rep said probably early 2013. Be careful in comparing Ortho's European products because they market the BioVue there that they don't sell in the US. It uses glass beads in its columns. There is another gel card maker in Europe-Grifols, but I haven't heard that they plan to enter the US market nor do I know much about them.

My Bio Rad rep said probably early 2013. Be careful in comparing Ortho's European products because they market the BioVue there that they don't sell in the US. It uses glass beads in its columns. There is another gel card maker in Europe-Grifols, but I haven't heard that they plan to enter the US market nor do I know much about them.

Griffols seems good thy do 8 well cards rather than 6 well so you can do two 3 cell screens with a pos and neg control without having to open another. The Grouping cards have two Ds and also K which I think is fab. When our annual contract is due I'm going to seriously look into them as the technology is identical but you just get more :)

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Bio-rad gel products have been in front of the FDA for over a year. Since they brought Dia-med 6 years ago, which is the leading manufacturer of gel, (manufactured Orthos gel), they have strong and extensive gel experience and expertise. In addtion to gel cards, the submission included a floor model automated platform, and I believe a bench top centrifuge/reader and incubator. Their gel products and automated platforms are available outside the US, and a google search should pull them up.