Blood bank testing for OB admit patients

ffriesen

I see this topic was resurrected.  We deliver @150 a month at a "low risk" facility.  We used to only to front types on the OB patients but they were BB armbanded just in case.  Well a patient almost bled out  and needed UNXM cells.  The OB docs wanted to know how that scenario would Never happen again.  We said an antibody screen on everyone so now we do.  We transfuse maybe 8 units to L&D a month, rarely during delivery.  We do see about 1-2 non passive Anti D antibodies a month.  Even if its PAD, we AHG XM for consistency.  Now that we have Epic & I can easily access the scans of the prenatal records to confirm Rhig being issued prior to delivery, I'm amazed at how many "reference" labs get the blood type wrong and don't titer antibodies.  We have over half of our deliveries on some type of Medicaid or charity reimbursement.

Oh, how I wish we could do the prenatal work at our hospital where the patient plans to deliver. We have also had quite a few of our blood types not match the various reference labs.